I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Woven graphite tubing for reelseat spacers
Posted by: Shawn Garrahan (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: April 13, 2006 10:25PM

Hello,
I'm looking for a source of woven graphite tubing to use as spacers for reelseats. I know Batson and Pac Bay make the A7&8 reelseats with graphite spacers but I'm hoping to make a spacer for either a Struble or REC reelseat. The diameters of their seats are different then the Batson spacers so I need to find somewhere that has or can make tubing in different sizes. I've seen pool cues and golf clubs with graphite shanks and have even seen kayak paddels with woven graphite handles so someone must make this stuff in different diameters. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Shawn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Woven graphite tubing for reelseat spacers
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 10:44PM

TEhre is a bunch of info in the Search feature here. Andy Dear posted some stuff, I believe Gerald McCasland did as well as a few others.

There are 3 diameters currently available for graphite/carbon fiber tubing from a few places, Angler's Workshop, Custom Tackle Supply, and Merrick all have them.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 11:20PM

Hopkins & Holloway makes a graphite insert reelseat in dark blue, dark green, dark brown and black. Dimensionally it looks like they may fit the U1, D1, or U9 Strubles. Angler's Workshop has them. They carry REC and Struble also, so they can check for sure.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 06:31AM

Here is a place that I have purchased tubing from in the past. They have several different sizes. Also to do more of a search, look for "carbon fiber tubing".

[www.macqc.com]

Posted by: Shawn Garrahan (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 06:34PM

Thanks all. I ended up finding a place on the net that makes carbon tubes in custom diameters and no minimum. I e-mailed them for a quote, we'll see. Thanks, Shawn

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 08:01PM

What is the name of this place you found?

Posted by: Shawn Garrahan (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 09:31PM

[www.carbonfibertubeshop.com] I found the info about custom tubes in their FAQ section.

Posted by: Roland Teruya (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: April 16, 2006 06:29PM

If your into making you own stuff you can check out [www.solarcomposites.com] , they sell braided CF sleeves but you have to laminate it yourself which gives you the ability to customize the size or length you want. I use the braided sleeves as the top layer of the laminate to make handle parts and other stuff where looks count. I think there are some instructions on the website about laminating the braided sleeves and finishes. Either way it is super easy, you just have to make a couple of practice runs. You can also use fiber glass (FG) to build the thickness you want and just use the CF as the top layer, FG is much cheaper.
Roland

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster