I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Motor
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: April 12, 2006 12:45AM

i have been doing some looking on internet as to what i should use for a rod drying motor. I am going to build a dryer that is drum style so it can turn multiple rods at once. here are my questions. What motor should i use? Do i need to pay attention to inch pounds and torque? Also have any of you ever made a dryer that was made out of PVC? All the ones i have seen have been wood and metal. thanks in advance. ike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Motor
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2006 09:02AM

For a drum dryer, you'll need a larger, more powerful motor. And make sure you get one designed for continuous use. The one I had some years ago mounted a small plastic fan blade on the back of the motor shaft to help keep it cool.

It will be hard to use PVC for the main shaft as it's not stiff enough to carry much load without flexing terribly. I'm afraid you'll need something far more rigid to use as the main shaft of the drum itself.

Look on the photo page under my name to see the drum dryer I made some years ago.

Date: April 12, 2006 11:07PM

tom i see on yours you use a belt drive. have you ever done just direct drive? Also any ideas on what kinds of motors? costs? and where to purchase. thanks ike

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2006 08:31AM

These type motors are usually about $50 to $100. I used a pulley/belt system so that I could achieve the RPM that I desired (10). You could certainly go the direct drive route if the motor was the speed you wanted and it had the power to turn your drum. Making sure you keep the drum balanced - having rods spread 180 degrees apart with about the same weight, will ease the burden on the motor.

Graingers is one good source for continuous duty motors.

Posted by: Roger Wilson (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 09:28AM

A good solution to your rod turning motor problem is to use a gear motor. If it is fan cooled - so much the better for better cooling.
Most of my rod dryers run at 6 rpm, which seems to work very well.

If you are using a drum type dryer, one of the larger motors in the 1/5th to 1/4 hp range are nice. With the use of the gearing in the motors, the hp, is less important, since you are gaining torque by the use of the gears.

A good place for locating these gear motors quite inexpensivly is on @#$%&. You can often run across motors like this for less than 20 including shipping.

Figure out your dryer, your drive mechanism, and then figure out your shafting requirements. If necessary, you can always use different size pulleys to acheive the exact drying speed that you want to use.

Take care
Roger

Date: April 13, 2006 01:48PM

i have a motor now that runs at about 100 rpms which is too much but it has all the H.P i would need does any one know how to gear this motor down??? thanks for all your help fellas. ike

Posted by: Roger Wilson ` (192.61.231.---)
Date: April 13, 2006 01:54PM

A simple way to do it is to use two pulleys with a 10:1 ratio.
i.e. a 10 inch pulley on the motor and a 1 inch pulley on the driven shaft.
You could use a double shaft / pulley system with smaller ratios, since each pully set will add to the other for the final speed.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.parl.gc.ca)
Date: April 13, 2006 01:58PM

Try that the other way around, a one inch pulley on the motor and a 10 inch on the driven shaft, for a a 10:1 reduction :)

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: April 13, 2006 03:35PM

so i was wrong on the rpms of my motor it is more like 1000 is there any way to reduce this or are we talking a huge pulley? thanks ike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster