I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

east coast saltwater rod suggestions
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:01PM

Hi all,
I've got a customer who wants a rod for both very large grouper and swordfish. He's fishing deepwater wrecks for the grouper and night fishing off Florida with live bait for swordfish. Neither type of fishing requires much casting so I'm leaning toward a 5.5' Calstar E-glass blank with Aftco wind-ons and either an Aftco uni-butt or stor-a-butt. I'm also trying to match the rod to an Avet 50 series two-speed reel. Most of my saltwater stuff is west coast stand-up so I'm a bit in the dark here. Any suggestions or recomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Randy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: east coast saltwater rod suggestions
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:07PM

You're gonna need 2 rods. Sounds like he is fishing down South in Florida? I did one Swordfishing trip with a local guide (friend) - I had a GUSA PRedator & Avet 4/0, and he laughed at me. He had all 50's & 80's with very heavy rods, more than likely CAlstar's, but I'm not sur ethe model.

For wreck fishing I think you'd want an entirely different rod. I fished the Tortuga's twice, and find a 50# rod perfect. GUSA 80Monster, Calstar 850M cut from the tip - great rods for Party Boats, probably way too long for a pricate boat.

Just guessing this isn't m area of expertise....although I really don't have an area of expertise for anything, lol.

Date: April 11, 2006 09:09PM

Billy,
Yeah, I told him that it would be hard to build one rod for both different types of fishing but thought I'd at least try and get as much info here before we I talk to him again. I think he primarily wants a grouper rod to be used occasionally for swordfish. I really didn't know if one rod would work descent enough for both. Randy.

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.pool.dslohio.net)
Date: April 12, 2006 09:14AM

The big Seeker jig sticks might be the ticket. 6 foot long and heavy power and fast action.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: April 13, 2006 06:31AM

I don't know much about the blanks you are talking about but a heavy Grouper rod should certainly work for the swordfishing. Just because the swordfish generally aren't that big so, And although they do pull hard a 50lb outfit should do the job quite well, since he will only be doing it occassionally. just my 2 cents. Scott

Posted by: terry truong (---.dsl.okcyok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 07:35PM

I can't comment on the swordfish since I don't target the species. However, I do a bit of FL grouper fishing. My best-liked rods are a GUSA 7ft Monster Mag with a relatively long hypalon foregrip & rear grip. The long rod length allows me to move the fish off structure with the initial sweep/hookset. The fast action and recoil of the graphite rod, along with the long foregrip, allows me to use the rail and basically winch the fish up by simply winding until the rod is fully loaded and repeat when the rod recoils. Hypalon was chosen for the reargrip to allow holding the rod under the armpit while using the rail.

Terry

Posted by: greg zechman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 10:38PM

what does gusa stand for...or.....where can i find there web site ...thanks bugsy

Date: April 15, 2006 12:57AM

Greg,
GUSA stands for Graphite USA (blanks). Not sure if they have their own site (didn't look yet) but Mudhole sells them. Randy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster