I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

straight blanks
Posted by: Eric Brockman (192.110.64.---)
Date: April 11, 2006 02:01PM

Hello, I have been hearing a lot about the rainshadow blanks and recieved their catalog. They say they check their blanks for straightness and proper spline deflection. Now, I have been using St. Croix, cause its what I started with and I am wiery about switching to something I have never casted. On the most recent one, a 8'0" 4wt SCIV. I noticed when checking the spline on the tip section, it was s-shaped a little and the spine didn't match the curve. Is this a common thing on these blanks or did I just get the needle in the hay stack. I know it won't affect the performance, but its more a phycological thing , because I know its there. Are the Rainshadow blanks tested for this defect or not and how does the performance compare to SCIV.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: straight blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2006 02:05PM

That's not a defect. The effective spine (which is an effect, not a physical thing) and where you mark it will almost never be in line with the natural curve or warp of any rod blank.

Depending on what you call "straight," you'll find that most all rod blanks have some amount of natural curve or warp to them.

The St. Croix SCIV blanks are exceptional, in my opinion. I have also tried a few of the Rainshadow blanks and can't find a thing in the world wrong with them. I suggest you buy one and try it for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.inchord.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 02:12PM

Different feels and actions, both top quality. I find the SCIV my favorite blank for 3-6 wt.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: April 11, 2006 03:49PM

I'm actually surprised that this is the first blank you've noticed it on. I think that my last 30 rods have had some slight curve to them somewhere along their length. I don't even think about it anymore, unless it's extreme. Then, I might consider building it on the straightest axis rather than on the spine. If it's just a slight bend/curve, I just build it on the spine, and realize that the fish I'm catching probably won't notice (nor will any other fishermen, for that matter).

Posted by: Dan Miller (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: April 11, 2006 04:23PM

Eric,

I cannot comment on the entire lineup. I do know that the IMU series of one piece Musky blanks are hard to beat for the money. They have given me some great service. They are priced right, work well and I do not have to babysit them. When you get a big Musky, coming to the boat, alot can happen, in a short period of time. Your rod is not shown a great deal of respect, at that point. The IMU blanks have held up well, in this regard.

Do not worry about slight imperfections in regard to straightness vs spine. Such an over rated thing in my opinion.

Dan Miller

Posted by: Eric Brockman (192.110.64.---)
Date: April 11, 2006 04:39PM

I know I shouldn't be so anal about it, but I am a perfectionous in rodbuilding, tying flies, and anything flyfishing. Everyone I show my flyrods to say their so good and don't see the imperfections, because they don't build and what to look for. I know the flaws that are there and try to improve and them and then some on the next one. I know the blanks will have curve to them, but it just seemed a little extreme on this one. Thanks for the replies.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2006 04:48PM

There is a point where you might want to be concerned, but only if the curve or warp seems to be hindering performance in some way. I know how some things can get in your head and bother you regardless, of course.

Without a doubt, if you sent the blank back to St. Croix, they would replace it for you, if you'd feel better about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster