I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hardness test Recoil Titanium vs. Zirconium Ring
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 11:22PM

See results on the photo page.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hardness test Recoil Titanium vs. Zirconium Ring
Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: April 11, 2006 03:44AM

Well, NiTi isn't very hard. It is metal unlike that ceramic ring.
Do you think that filing gives a represtative result compared to regular use?
I still like the weight saving with Recoils on any lighter fly rods whatever the filing results are or will be.

All materials have their ups and downs. Try a bending test next. ;-)

Cheers,
Sakari

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:02AM

Sakari makes a good point. What guide you choose should be influenced by where and how the rod will be used and what other trade-offs there might be for each guide type. However, for those who experience ring wear, Raymond's data are eye-opening and I'm glad he shared them. Heck, I've never even grooved a chrome snake guide even though many anglers complain about that problem all the time. So, obviously our individual experiences vary depending on how and where we fish.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:12AM

I did point out on the photo page that regardless of the test results I am
still a fan of the Recoil guides. I say it again here.

Raymond Adams

Date: April 11, 2006 08:19AM

Dang Raymond, conducting experiments on guide ring wear and responding to posts at 5:12 a.m. California time. Say, you wouldn't happen to be obsessed with this whole rodbuilding thing, would you? LOL. I think there's more than a few of us here who can relate to your condition.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.187.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:59AM

Still thinking about those for a 3 wt I want to build ??

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: April 11, 2006 09:14AM

Steve,
Obsessed is an under statement! LOL! I'm usually up and downing coffee by 4:30am PST

Raymond Adams

Date: April 11, 2006 09:45AM

I hear you. I'm definitely laughing with you not at you. I leave for work at 5:20 but I get up at 4:30 just so I have some time to fool around with my latest project. Can't start the day without my fix. Sure I'm tired but it's not like I would be sleeping soundly anyway, knowing that there's an unfinished rod in my basement. This hobby is addictive and this site is like having a dealer living in your house and at your workplace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2006 09:53AM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 10:09AM

Take a pill Guys

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: April 11, 2006 10:14AM

The required dosage would kill a horse! I only weigh 160lb's LOL!

Raymond Adams

Date: April 11, 2006 10:18AM

And I weigh 118, light enough to be a jockey crushed under that dead horse.

Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 10:41AM

Hi everyone, I have done a couple of experiments on the recoils myself, mine was for changing the color mainly. I have been satisfied with the wear properties of the guides, I only use monofiliment line and they hold up well. I think the ID could be polished back to a smooth if ever needed. I purchased a DC power source to electrically change the color of the guides with a electrical bath method. I thought I was on to something. As I cranked up the voltage I could see the guides changing color just like pure titanium does, I stopped at a dark bronze color to match my St. Croix V blank. The guide turned to a dark gold when looked at it from different angles, I began some tests, tried to rub the thin very smooth built up layer off, seemed to hold up very well, bent the guide many times, it did seem to be harder to bend than before the electrical bath, everything seemed to be a go for doing the rest of the guides, thought I wood sleep on it before doing a complete set of guides. I thought why do eye glass manufacturers not color eye glass frames like this, they could almost achieve any color they would want. Next morning I got up and thought one more test before I change the color of the rest of the guides, I will bend the guide as far as I think it could ever be bent by a accident. Well the guide snapped in half right above the foot, I think changing the color electrically changes the properties of the NiTi and that is why eye glass frames are coated and not anodized this way. I still think these are the nicest light weight spinning guides there are, and will keep using them, they will never go through the abuse I put them through in my tests, I will just keep them there original color and be happy they work very well for there intended purpose. Just thought I would share my tinkering with them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster