I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread spool storage boxes
Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:40PM

My population of thread spools has multiplied like rabbits. Anyone have a favorite thread spool storage box (and source) ??

Should I be concerned about plastic boxes being contaminated with silicone or is that a thing of the past?

Thanks for any advice.

Pete Kornegay
Camden, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread spool storage boxes
Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.96.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:49PM

Any fabric/sewing store will give you plenty of choices. I've picked mine up at yard sales and thrift shops.

Tim

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:58PM

Hey Pete,
I picked one up at the Flambeau (sp) outlet in Weldon. They make the "Artbin" brand. Also a great place to pick up decoys, tackle boxes etc.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 10:45PM

I use the Plano 2300 I think. They are around 8 1/2 by 14 and hold must all of the manufacturers who use 1 oz spools.

I got the whole 9 yards of Madeira and it comes with an awesome wood case. of course Not sure I will ever use all the colors (300 and some)

I have never run into any problems with silicone contamination. YET - knock on wood.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 11:08PM

Madiera also sells really nice storage cases including a nice plastic/nylon one that holds 48 sppols

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Erik Godwin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 11:53PM

Not sure if this is bad for thread or not, but I find that cigar boxes provide an easy way to store thread. Of course, that the best part about the boxes is emptying them in the first place!

Erik

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 11, 2006 12:54AM

PLANO 3700 - PRO-LATCH - STOW-AWAY BOX - CLEAR ("White" Poly Propylene): At $10 each or less, IMO, you will be hard pressed to find a more economical container that is so well suited for such a purpose as holding 1 ounce Spools of Nylon Thread. Or Reel Seats, Gimbals, Butt Caps; or formed Grips, or Cork Rings; or small tools; or short home-made reamers (13" long or less), etc. The older Plano MAGNUM Series were also very good (mustard yellow tray, clear amber lid), and had a very secure flip latch and suitcase handle.

These Plano 3700 (and the smaller Plano 3500) will hold a small fortune in Line Guides. And the adjustable partitions can configure up to 24 compartments per box (~ 5.5CM LONG each) . The CLEAR (Poly Propylene) tray & lid conveniently reveals the contents from any perspective.

ANY brand of plastic box may have variable degrees of mold-release agents. IMO, the CLEAR boxes just REVEAL that more readily than opaque surfaces.

PLANO is, IMO, probably the best brand for storage / tackle boxes. I have several Plano boxes (the yellow & amber Magnums) that are over 20 years old that still look like new. And many of the newer Clear Poly-Propylene models that are 5 to 15 years old that also are in like-new condition. Plano plastics simply do not degrade like some off-brands of plastic (s)crap.

Just examine your ANY of your new plastic boxes before use. Wipe them with a paper towel that has been sprayed with Glass Plus or dampened with Alcohol, before you use it, if you are not satisfied with the box's condition upon receipt. Wipe dry if needed, too. That should remove any film.

Generally the harder clearer plastics have less vapor filming, but that is not always true. And they tend to be more brittle and prone to cracking. So, it's a trade-off sometimes between cracking boxes that do not tolerate rough handling very well, and vapor-leaching plasticizers which soften the plastic and make for a more durable box. Take your pick, ... or find a happy medium. Again, like Doc Ski, I have not had any problems yet with a Plano box for long-term storage of Thread Spools.

I have on occasion had some of the Plano Poly-Propylene "Clear-White" or "Smoky Grey" boxes warp when an OILY soft-bait was stored in DIRECT contact with the box's plastic. Now I just keep the baits inside their little plastic bag and that eliminates the warping of the box lid. But that is nothing compared to how older soft baits (plastic worms) and cheaper boxes would fuse into a glorious, gelatinous and irredeemable mess. ...

If you ever use ACETONE to wipe a cheap plastic, you may as well consider that plastic marred for life. Any cleaner or solvent that is stronger than Ethyl or IsoPropyl ALCOHOL is likely to DISSOLVE the plastic - it will remove the soft-bait's OIL, alright, ... AND the box's PLASTIC !!!

PLANO 3700 - INTERIOR Dimensions
THREE long WIDE rows: 4.5CM WIDE x 4.2CM DEEP x 34.0CM LONG
ONE long NARROW row: 3.5CM WIDE x 4.2CM DEEP x 34.0CM LONG

PLANO 3700 - EXTERIOR Dimensions
36CM LONG x 5CM DEEP x 23CM WIDE
The LID Hinges and the Pro-Latches are PARALLEL to the LONG Axis; PERPENDICULAR to the WIDE Axis; and ASKEW to the DEEP Axis.

I cannot be sure, but I think that Doc Ski may be referring to the Plano Model 3700, which is roughly 14" Long x 2" Deep x 9" Wide (and not the Plano Model 2300, whose dimensions are unknown to me).
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2006 01:44AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 05:25AM

picked up mine at Joannes Fabric Each box has Spindals to hold the spools Clear Plastic holds 40 Ea.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 07:30AM

A nice new Land Rover would be nice! Be sure to get the one with the muted beige interior as it will match most threads. There are enough hidden spaces in the larger vehicle to hide all the polyneon from causual observers.

Fsh No Mo

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 01:21PM

Thanks to all for the advice!!

Bill- I had considered a Hummer in which to store and transport ALL of my extracurricular activity equipment. The wife found little humor in that idea.

PK

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 02:40PM

Pete - I use the Plano 3700 to store my small spools of thread. For teh larger Madeira colors, teh best Plano is the one a little deeper, I think the 3750? I think you could squeeze in about 100 spools standing up.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 05:01PM

Plano 3700. I drilled holes on the ends of the boxes to pull bands of thread from. Work great. I have all my thread in them.

Lou

Date: April 12, 2006 12:56AM

The PLANO Box that is DEEPER than the Plano 3700 (described in detail above) may be the Plano 3730. The older Plano 3730 (which I have) does not have the newer blue PRO-LATCHES, but used the original tab-latch design.

The Plano 3730 is almost exactly the same as the 3700. They have the same foot-print and interior dimensions. But the 3730 is 7.5 cm deep, while the 3700 is 4.2 cm deep. The 3730 has 4 identical rows of 4.5 cm WIDE x 7.5 cm DEEP x 34.0 cm LONG.

It is possible that the newer Pro-Latch version of the 3730 uses the same model # as the older tab-latch, but now has the blue latches. I don't know. ... Or, as Billy Vivona said, the newer model with the blue Pro-Latches could be Model # 3750.

I use the Plano 3730 for Mann' Stretch 30's trolling plugs, and other long bulky items. IMO, the Plano 3730 has such a HUGE volume, it almost does not carry the weight very well if too densely packed with heavy items. ... "Your mileage may vary", ...

Happy Passover to all, ... -Cliff Hall+++

UPDATE: Billy Vivona is referring to the new 3730 -
PLANO Model 2-3730 - ProLatch™ StowAway®
The Model #'s are IMPRINTED on the BOTTOM of each Plano box.
See Posts & Links BELOW for more details. ...-CMH+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2006 09:36AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2006 06:57AM

Ciff is right

[www.planomolding.com]

Date: April 12, 2006 09:19AM

PLANO Model 2-3730 - ProLatch™ StowAway®
* 4-15 adjustable compartments
* Deep version of the classic 3700 StowAway®
* Great for pork jars and other large baits
* Clear box (clear-white Poly-Propylene), YELLOW Pro-Latches
* 14"L x 9.13"W x 3.25"H
[www.planomolding.com]

PLANO Model 2-3700 - ProLatch™ StowAway®
* 4-24 adjustable compartments
* The classic StowAway
* Clear box (clear-white Poly-Propylene), BLUE Pro-Latches
* 14"L x 9.13"W x 2"H
[www.planomolding.com]

Thanks, Billy Vivona - Got books yet?
Happy Easter, -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster