I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

female ferrule clicking?!
Posted by: Jon Weatherhead (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 08:46PM

I just went out to our local fishing shop here in Dayton Ohio, and picked up a rod I was having worked on. I had them make my Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier baitcasting rod into a two piece. I noticed a clicking sound when I shake the pole. Thought it might be a poor fit at the ferrule but I think there is a more serious problem. Forget the butt section, I can hold onto the ferrule and shake the pole and it rattles / clicks where it is attached to the top peice of the rod. So I'm wondering if its the bottom end of the top section clicking inside the ferrule (because the very end doesn't seem glued to the ferrule itself. ) Or, is the transition in the wraps from ferrule to rod sloppy or something? I guess I'll be taking it back. Unless there is an easy fix like applying some superglue to the bottom of the inside of the ferrule. ???? I want to make sure that I at least understand whats going on, so that I can make sure the problem gets fixed. Needless to say I am kind of leary about letting them troubleshoot it when they are the ones that messed up in the first place. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: female ferrule clicking?!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:11PM

Surely they didn't add a metal ferrule to your rod... The far better method would have been to make a glass over-sleeve ferrule. It would have been much, much lighter and more condusive to maintaining the blanks overall properties.

Assuming that they may have added a metal ferrule - ti shouldn't click. But, if it does, there are serveral possible areas the ill fit could be located in. The ferrule itself is one. Where the ferrule is attached to the blank is another. Without seeing it I can't really tell you what or where the problem is located, but if the ferrule was properly fitted and the blank shimmed (if necessary) it wouldn't "click."

Date: April 10, 2006 09:55PM

No, it's either graphite or fiberglass. (the inside of it is black) I can't tell if the sound is coming from the center of the ferrule where the end of the top section stops, or the junction where the ferrule is actually glassed to the top section.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2006 10:25PM

Can you hear the noise without the two sections joined - by just rocking the ferrule itself back and forth?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 11:40PM

As I have been studying Ralph O' Quinn's article in the library here and have
recently aquired the back issue volume 4. issue 4 of RMM with an article on
ferrules this is very interesting to me! I just modified a 1pc rod into a 2pc and
added a removeable blank section to the butt end of a previously broken rod.
Interesting

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 11, 2006 09:13AM

Jon,
It sounds like the tip section of the rod is moving inside the ferrule as you suggest. I doubt that it has anything to do with the wraps. In any case I would take it back to whoever did the job and make them correct the problem because it probably significantly increases the chances of the rod breaking at that point under a load.
A slight clicking sound or being able to feel a slight clicking in a ferrule is not all that uncommon. If you want to determine if it is the ferrule fit or not you can take a little of the blue chalk that carpenters use on their chalk lines, its available at any hardware or home improvement store, and rub it on the male end of the ferrule. then put the male end into the female end and turn it and then separate the two. If the chalk has only been rubbed off at one end or the other of the male end of the ferrule then you have a problem with the ferrule fit.

Date: April 11, 2006 11:01PM

Yeah, it makes the noise without the two pcs being put together. The male (butt section) fits great. I shined a flashlight into the ferrule and its the end of the tip section thats rattling. I'm real tempted to fill the gap thats inside the ferrule, between the ferrule wall and the rod, with super glue. I think it will suck itself into the space and lock everything together. I don't want to take it back to the rod builder unless I absolutely have to, because It took him about 3 months to do the first job.

I need to know if super glue will cause some horrible chemical reaction that will screw up the fiberglass or graphite. My gutt is telling me it will be OK but I am nervous that maybe superglue will melt something or screw something up.

So, the fit from one piece of the rod to the other is great (tight over the length of the ferrule). The fit of the tip section (which is wrapped to the ferrule) is not OK. it is snug at the upper end of the ferrule tube but sloppy where it ends in the middle of the ferrule. I just kinda assumed that the ferrule would get glued on and then wrapped. But it appears its just slid into place and then wrapped.

So, should I try the super glue? Or is that a no-no?

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 11:30PM

Forget the super glue! Wont hurt the blank but wont do the job either, If it was me I would take it back and at least get them to return my $!! Not have them fix it either. (3 mo.? in a pigs eye!)

The trick with adding glue (rod bond) in the area between the blank and ferrule wall might work but I don't have enough experience in this area to advice you yes or no. I think it will create a stiff
area and put undue stress on either side of the ferrule and cause the blank to break there.
Rod bond is flexable though. I just cant say for sure.

The correct fix is a ferrule that fits correctly.

I would venture to guess that the female ferrule may have not gotton glued at all by mistake.
If it was well bonded it would not move at all and movement is what is causing the "click".
If that is the case, if one removes the finish and thread wrap the ferrule should pull right off!

Let us know how things turn out. OK?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster