I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat placement
Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 05:16PM

I'm building a boat rod for a friends kid. It's a 5'6" med heavy lami graphite 12-25lb test for fishing in the bay. I'd like a longish butt grip but am limited by the factory label starting at 18" from the butt.

My question is how should I divide this between the butt grip, reel seat, and foregrip?

Also how short is too short for the foregrip?

And one more: how short can I make the reel seat? (I'm turning an insert for a Fuji graphite skeleton)

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat placement
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 06:08PM

Is their a particular reason you want the label to be seen? If not. cover it! I never use the factory labels.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 07:51PM

Ditto. Don't worry about the label.

Lou

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 08:04PM

It's a Lamiglas and I don't want to hassle with permission to have a label made for it or with making a long butt wrap to cover the rest of the label. I usually build fly rods and the factory labels are usuallly well out of the way of the handle. Even leaving the label issue aside, what do you think would be good placement measurements for the reel seat and handle, and maybe first guide from the handle? It will be used with a small conventional reel. Boat rods are new to me. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 12:50AM

You might start by measuring the distance from your son's elbow to the palm.
The reel seat would go about that far from the butt end. Of course thats just a
starting point. You can adjust from there for his comfort.
A foregrip is not required at all but for a boat rod you might want a 4-6 inch one
which will cover up the factory lable. If you can, leave off the foregrip entirely.
It's all up to how he fishes and what works best for him!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 05:51AM

Thanks Raymond,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster