I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weave patterns
Posted by: steve hill (70.97.33.---)
Date: April 09, 2006 02:33PM

New to rod building and thinking about some weaving now.
Where can I find reasonable priced weave patterns?
I work mostly on light action walleye rods, 0.4 butt diameter +, so that should limit me, but 30-40 threads wide is still ok ,no?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weave patterns
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 04:28PM

Merrick, Mud Hole and others. Also check with Easy Weave Looms. They have a great little weaving loom for very little money and I think they also sell some patterns. They're a sponsor. Their link should be somewhere in the lefthand column but I can't find it with a quick scan. Might just be my old eyes.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 04:36PM

Steve; That sort of depends on you and whether or not you like a pattern that wraps around the blank a little, a lot or not at all. You also have the option of weaving on more than one axis. For example a fish on the 0 degree axis and your initials on the 180 degree axis. The thread size used will also have an effect on pattern finished size. You will have to make those choices so don't limit yourself until you have some experience. A 50 thread pattern using "A" thread for the design will give you a finished pattern that's right at 1 centimeter across and that will pretty much fill the top half of a 1/2 " diameter blank at the location of the weave.

Patterns are available from a number of the sponsors on the left or you can make your own. Something you might want to try, to gain an appreciation for the work that goes into a good pattern and to learn what to expect where detail is concerned. The fewer the number of design threads the less detail you will be able to get.

There are several really good weavers on this site and I am sure all will be happy to help you.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 05:07PM

I think $20 is a great price for somenthing which would take me 10+_ hours to figure out, adn then find I might have to try again.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 07:51PM

The bass weave I posted a couple of weeks ago is a 50 thread pattern done in all A thread and it fit nicely on a very skinny GUSA blank. I did it over a butt wrap so it wouldn't wrap around as much as if I'd done it on just the blank. I like to be able to see the entire weave when I'm holding the rod fishing. If you stick to using A thread you'll be just fine on your rods especially if you do the weave over a butt wrap.
I guy I learned a lot from, Cam Clark, used to do his weaves in 00 size thread on fly rods. At the time I was still doing mine in C and I thought he was nuts. But the smaller thread gives a much smoother edge to the weave and just looks nicer imo. I've done weaves with FishHawk metallic which is smaller than Gudebrod A without any problems, just have to be a bit more careful pulling on the thread.
I'd buy a couple patterns to see how they are made, then learn to make your own. Its fun and not that hard. You definitely want to use a loom of some type , not masking tape.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 09:55PM

Hi Steve,
I tried to email you but your address is hidden.
email me. OK?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: steve hill (70.97.33.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 08:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster