I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Spool Thread Problems
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 04:59AM

Well it's about four in the morning and I am building rods. I make my long underwraps on my halibut rods out of A Thread. I ran out of yellow and went to my store room and got another 4oz spool. I made one long wrap and then noticed that the thread looked dirty. The spool was nearly black from some kind of contamination. The thread was still in the Gubebrod plastic wrap when I took it out of my storage cabinet. I am not worried about getting it replaced or anything like that, but this is the first time I have ever had this happen. Has anyone out there ever had this happen. I have had the thread about three or four months and it is stored in a dark cabinet with nothing but thread not near any chemicals. Let me know. Oh by the way I had another spool of the same type and it was fine.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Spool Thread Problems
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2006 06:22PM

The only thing I can begin to think of is mildew. Remove the top layer of thread and you should be fine.

Posted by: mike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 06:42AM

John

Interesting thread to excuse the pun. I never had your problems but I have had these over the years ,

Thread marked up NCP but was natural and you could see was natural before applying any finish

Thread that had the fuzzies all the way down the spool.

Thread that had colour variations on a grand scale compared to previous batch of the so called same colour.

Thread that was once made up of 4 strands and is now 3

Thread that had poor braiding. IE loose braiding

Thread that is more flat than round in section.

Black NCP thread usually truns uip as dark grey at best.

Vital stuff thread and yet so often it dissapoints when it arrives. I always inspect my thread very carefully. It pays to take off at least two layers of thread on a new spool just in case the packer touched the threads with dirty greesy fingers.

Now we have your problem to add to the list.

Cheers

Mike O.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 11, 2006 02:47AM

SPORES ! If that spool of thread was a recent acquisition from a Supplier, use what you need on the rod - the epoxy will keep the fungus dormant because the epoxy keeps out the water vapor needed to encourage growth.

But keep an eye on that 4 oz Spool - I would remove at least 3 layers of thread before winding it onto my rod project, if that is still an option.

SPORE forming fungi are one of the most persistent contaminants on the planet. And they spread their canker like a wind spreads a fire. If that 4 oz Spool continues to show signs of BLACKING, then try one more PURGING - Go down at least 5 LAYERS of Thread. If that doesn't stop it, THROW IT OUT, bury it or burn it in a trash-fire before it contaminates anything else near it. It ain't worth saving - it can't be de-contaminated and can never be purified again and still be made useful.

Only strong solutions of chlorine bleach (~10%), strong hydrogen peroxide (~20%) or ethylene oxide gas (which is totally poisonous to every living organism and very dangerous) can kill some spores, ... which is precisely why SPORES (like Anthrax) are such an effective potential Biological Weapon.

-Cliff Hall+++, FL-USA, - Arguably the Hurricane and Spore-forming Capital of the Continental United States.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 04:45AM

Thanks guys,
I did like Cliff said and took about three or four wraps off and it seems to be fine. I do live on the banks of an Arroyo so I could be a fungi. I am all ways real protective of my thread and I was just wondering what might have happened. Thanks for all the good advice..........

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster