I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie with questions
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 06:46PM

Does applying color preserver to each wrap effect the finish penetrating the thread? I am building saltwater rods with an under wrap and 2 wraps per guide. I have been applying CP to all 3, Then applying finish, Is this the correct way? I have read conflicting methods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie with questions
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 07:00PM

The sole prpose of using CP is to maintain the original thread color. Without CP, the thread will darken considerably and become translucernt, some like that effect. The CP accomplishes this by sealing the thread, preventing the finish from penetrating the thread and changing the thread color. This is always an ongoing debate with supporters on both sides. The finish adds little , if any, strength to a wrap. It's purpose is to seal and protect the threads `from abrasion, water, etc, not to secure the guide, the thread does that.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 08, 2006 10:00PM

The only thing I would offer is that if you are using CP that you apply it after each thread layer, rather than waiting until the wrap is complete and then applying it on top of the final wrap. I'd do it in steps, one coat after each thread layer.

Some folks will even apply epoxy finish between each thread layer. That works too.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 01:30AM

Ditto!
Less problems with seeping bubbles that way and also makes it
easier to wrap the next thread layer.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: April 09, 2006 06:11PM

In my opinion sealing the thread with CP has to make the connection weaker but it's not a problem because guides rarely "fall off". I've read many times on this board that the epoxy finish doesn't add strength to guide wraps but I don't believe it. In fact, I'd bet that you could use just epoxy to encasulate the guide feet and get a good bond. Of course, both thread and epoxy together are stronger.

This would be a good experiment.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 01:53PM

I will add that while I don't use color preserver -- I build only rods for myself and think "unfinished" wraps look fine, I think that those who argue that color preserver weakens the finished wrap have extrapolated a logical point -- that color preserver prevents finish from penetrating the thread -- far beyond its real-world implications. I say use whatever gives you the look you like, and then don't think about it, because you're not going to notice a performance difference one way or the other. I don't use CP because I'm lazy, and have no problem with the end product without the extra step, but if you want to use it, go ahead -- your performance will be fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster