I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank help 6'6" to 7' 3 wt
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 06:20PM

A fellow teacher at our school wants to build a 6'6" to 7' 3wt fly rod. He will use it to fish small streams with 20' to 30' of line max. He wants something that won't break the bank. Med. fast or fast action. Any suggestions? If I looked on the CCS site what would Iook for?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank help 6'6" to 7' 3 wt
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 06:43PM

Read the CC articles, it's all there.

Posted by: Mike Parker (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 06:50PM

That's exactly what I use on my home brook trout waters in Shenandoah National Park. I'd use 7' 3wt St. Croix SCIII or RX7 6'6" 2 wt (ERN of 2.9 - line w/3wt at those distances). The Pac Bay Pro is also exactly what you're looking for, but it's a bit more pricey.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2006 07:56PM

That's about right. I'd look for something between about a 2.3 and 3.0 for a 3-weight line at those distances.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 08:26PM

The Forecast RX6 2 weight at 6' 6" will fill the bill and do it at a very reasonable price. I just finished one that measured ERN 2.82 with an AA of 63.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: William Mitchell (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 09:39AM

I built a couple of the Forecast 6' 6" 4pc 2wts for friends last fall. Lined with a DT3 line, these make very nice small stream rods at a very reasonable cost.

Bill

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 09:58AM

Thanks boys. It sounds like the Forecast 6'6" 2 wt is the ticket.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (67.170.174.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 04:20PM

I like the 4pc Rx6 more than the 2pc in the 6'6" 2wt...plus you can throw it in your pack/duffel/ashtray..

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 01:05PM

Go over to Global-Dorbers web site they sell a wide range of short 3wt blanks. I have built a few of their 6ft 3wt's, the action is moderate to light but they work well at 20-30ft... Bob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster