I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cape Fear blanks: bomb or bust???
Posted by: Michael Larkin (---.rsmas.miami.edu)
Date: April 06, 2006 01:06PM

I want to make a light spinning outfit for big tarpon (15-25 lb test) that I am going to rig with 20 lb power pro line to put strong pressure on the fish. I have narrowed the blanks down to a Cape Fear blank (ADV174-70B) or a G.Loomis blank (L905-GL2). The Hextek technology of the Cape Fear blanks sound great on paper but do they produce like the company claims they do? Are they strong and durable?
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cape Fear blanks: bomb or bust???
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 01:16PM

I don't think the Cape Fear blanks are available any longer, I wouldn't restrict myself to the Loomis either. One of the sweetest tapon rods I've ever used was on the Lamiglas GLB901MT blank, and the Rainshadow SW967 would also be a fine choice.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 01:23PM

I believe Cape Fear has gone by the wayside.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 02:51PM

I just called Cape Fear rod co. And I got an answer, I have know Raeford for years, I haven't heard anything about them going out of business. The blanks are excellent to fish with I own about 10 of them and they are great. You will not be dissapointed.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2006 03:14PM

They do not provide the stiffness to weight ratio that any tubular blank does, but their forte was also promoted as being a nearly indestructable blank. They are tough. If that's what you're after, then I think you'd probably like them.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2006 09:25PM

There's fisherman that swear by them and love them 10 times over!..... I'd also venture to guess there's a bunch custom rodbuilders that love the way a "stop sign" spins on a lathe during the wrapping process, and how evenly finish can be applied in two coats, and how easy it is to add a trim band to a flat blank etc...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster