I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finding bamboo
Posted by: Eric Brockman (192.110.64.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 10:47AM

Eventually going to build bamboo rods. Want to know the best places to find bamboo and if , what the different kinds are. I still have a lot of research, but want to find out how much the bamboo is going to cost and what quality it is, if there is any.If there is any books that you would recommend, that would be nice. Feel free to E-mail, if needed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2006 11:05AM by Eric Brockman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finding bamboo
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 11:27AM

Golden Witch to the left has everything you need.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 12:24PM

Eric. Learning to build a bamboo rod from scratch takes a considerable amount of time and a substantial investment. Have you thought about buiding out a ferruled blank? If so, there are some makers that offer them at a very reasonable cost.

Posted by: Eric Brockman (192.110.64.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 02:06PM

Never heard of a ferruled blank. Just was thinking about building bamboo. Haven't got to look up much about the tools, but have seen quite a bit of the process though, and I think it would be a good challenge. I know it takes a lot of time though.

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 10:13AM

I am doing the same, but for the first rod plan to build from a ferruled blank. But, do the builders prefer to sell the finished rod or are they happy to sell as a blank? Maybe its my imagination but I've gotten the impression so far that business is so good that they'd rather sell the finished rod than blank. Maybe I'm wrong, its happened before. I can't afford the finished rod really, plus being involved at leats partly with building the rod is part of the fun for me.

Tim Kelly

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 11:06AM

Tim. I think you are on the right track. If you have not heard of Mark Fitch on @#$%&, look him up. Sells ferruled blanks regularly there and they are very nice. Mark impregnates his blanks, so they are ready to wrap. As to the builders, some will not sell you a blank because their reputation is on the line and a badly finished blank indirectly occassions negative PR streamside. But a great many mid range builders do sell blanks and list them separately on their sites. Expect to pay 250 to 500 dollars for a decent blank.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.204.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 09:58PM

Eric;
As was said, start with GoldenWitch, they wil sell you culms in various grades singly, most of the other suppliers only deal in minimum orders, I think Demarest requiers at least 3 and Andy Royer won't sell less than 10. I will also say this, finishing out a blank will save you some money over buying a finished rod, but building your own won't, specially if you figure in what your time is worth. It will be cheaper to buy a very good rod than it will be to buy or make all the tools needed to build a decent rod, the only good reason to make a rod is because you want to make it yourself, not to save money.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster