I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feathers?
Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.for.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: April 05, 2006 05:34AM

What is the "weirdous" thing you have ever inlayed as a rod builder?
This could generate some interesting discussion.
What other more common things have been inlayed - Fish scales / fish eyes / photos of loved ones?

I know they look really good but where does this feather inlay caper come from?
Is it from hunting birds or something? I'm planning to do one from a particular finch I used to keep when I was a child. A pure white with tiny black spots - an Australian Finch.

What is the origin of feather inlays?

Do people inlay gemstones?

Interested
Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feathers?
Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: April 05, 2006 06:44AM

I speculate that feather inlays came from fly fishing people. Lots of us fly rod builders also tie flies. Lots of feathers around, and the Jungle Cock nails used for streamer cheeks are great to inlay for alignment marks on multi piece rods. There is a long heritage of feather art in many cultures going back far into pre-historical times. Feathers, wood grain are both a form of nature's art. Perhaps the easiest way for a craftsman to add art to his artifacts.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.126.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 07:37AM

Fish hooks

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2006 08:38AM

I have seen one old bamboo rod, a very, very old bamboo fly rod, that had a feather inlaid on its surface. I'm not sure what type of bird the feather came from however.

I've seen feathers, coins, buttons, labels, hooks, flys, photos, gemstones, pearl, etc., inlaid on rods. Sometimes on the blank surface, other times in the handle or butt cap.

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.nas7.atlanta2.ga.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 09:37AM

Hey Robert. . . I've done a few feather inlays on top of gold foil, silver foil and copper foil. The foil can give a melted metal look. Then you place the feather inlay over the foil. You'd be surprised the look you get.

Bob

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 12:19PM

I've inlayed some gold flakes I panned from our local historic Gold Creek here in Juneau, Alaska, below the ruins of the A-J mine, once the largest producer of gold in the world. The city of Juneau is built on the mine's tailings. I think its kinda cool, but my wife thinks I'm weird...

Ray Vinzant
Juneau, AK

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: April 06, 2006 12:22AM

I have inlayed some opal into the base wrap of a few of the rods I've built. The opal doesn't come up that well in the photos but in real life with the sun light on them they are stunning. Look at the work Terry Henson is doing and you'll see that you are only limited by your imagination.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 03:21AM

I'm going to inlay scorpins as soon as I feel comfortable with my inlay skills. I caught and preserved another nice one last week.

Rich Matranga
Folsom,Ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster