I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA grip S.O.S.
Posted by: Dan Shoemaker (199.245.32.---)
Date: April 04, 2006 02:22PM

First, what a great site- I am a newcomer to rod building and this site has already helped me tremendously.

The problem I am having is that I am building a stand-up tuna rod and have realized (after I spent 6 hours on the butt wrap) that the eva grip (14 inch) is loose in the middle. I used the double-sided tape that is used for re-gripping golf clubs (I believe that this is a common tecnique).

Has anyone had this happen before? If so, can it be saved? Perhaps injecting some kind of epoxy? Please tell me that I'm not S.O.L.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2006 05:06PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grip S.O.S...
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 04, 2006 02:31PM

A common fail proof way of installing EVA is in the Library above. No idea what you could do, but I do know if you have to cut it off, the new grip WILL slide right over teh butt wrap if you follow the steps above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2006 05:07PM by Tom Kirkman.

Re: EVA grip S.O.S..
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2006 05:09PM

Injecting epoxy is about the only thing that will help, although it's not a great way to do things. It might save you from having to redo things, however.

Try a mono-jet syringe with steel needle to move some liquid epoxy in there. A little on opposing sides of the loose area.

The golf club grip tape is not too common for use in installing grips, although it is a viable way to do things and some builders do use it for that purpose. But like anything else, you still have to exercise care in order to get a good fit no matter what system you use for installing EVA, cork or anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2006 05:21PM by Tom Kirkman.

Re: EVA grip S.O.S..
Posted by: Dan Shoemaker (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 05:13PM

Thank you both for your help so far. If it were either of you in this situation, would you just cut it off and start over? I just don't want to screw up the wrap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2006 05:21PM by Tom Kirkman.

Re: EVA grip S.O.S.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2006 05:27PM

If you've already done a nice butt wrap in front of the grip, you'll have a hard time intalling another one over the top of the butt wrap and still get a snug fit beyond the wrap.

I'll toss this out, but it's only a suggestion.

Cut the old grip off. Now go ahead and finish your wrap with epoxy. Select a new EVA grip that will still be small enough to snug down to the blank once it has moved over and past the butt wrap. If you use the procedure outlined on the FAQs page here, the grip will still slide on easily and move over and past the butt wrap with very little trouble. Clean the installation epoxy off your butt wrap just as soon as you've got the new grip in place. It should weather the storm just fine.

This is going to require you to do some careful measuring so that you don't end up with a gap between the grip and tie off of your butt wrap. Remember that on grips that are going to be stretched quite a bit as they slide into place, they tend to draw up just a tad. So I'd cut the length maybe 1/8th inch longer than needed. Once you move it past the butt wrap and into place, draw it back out to recover any length lost through compression. You can't get it all the way back out, but that extra little bit will cover you there.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 05:56PM

Finish the butt wrap as usual. Once the finish is cured, several days, cut the old grip off. Do not use double sided tape - for bonding the grip on use a good paste epoxy such as Kardol or Rod Bond. Using plenty of this epoxy as a lube slide the new identical grip over the butt wrap and into place where the old grip was.

I have had to do something similar when the owner of a rod I was building decided to go with hypalon grip instead of one made of eva. Unfortunately the underwraps for the guides were in place, and the fancy wrap complete. I went ahead and applied the usual two coats of finish to the butt wrap, then slid a new hypalon grip on. After some squishing and massaging the foregrip fit perfectly. I had to redo the two lower guide underwraps. As Tom said you have to consider the length of the grip after it is installed, but if you go with an identical grip there should not be a problem. In my case I changed the material itself, and compensated with a hypalon grip that was alittle longer than the eva. The hypalon did not "shrink" as much as I though it would and wound up covering about 1/4" more of the tie off than the eva. Still, it did not look bad and could not tell at all that a bit of the tie off was covered up....

Lou

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 06:09PM

On a project I'm close to completing I actually measured and did all the decorative
thread work before the seat and grip was in place so when I installed them the
tie offs were completly covered on one end and the wrap just disappears under
under it. Nice look !

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 08:46PM

What was not mentioned was clean up when using a Rod Bond or similar product. I use a mixture of three parts water, with two parts denatured alcohol and a couple drops of liquid soap, for a cleaning solution. Wash the rod down throughly. Now saturate a rag with denatured alcohol and wash off cleaning solution let dry and complete whatever is left.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: April 05, 2006 11:04AM

I generally just clean up with a denatured saturated paper towel. No muss, no fuss.

On EVA grips. You genereally don't want a grip that you have to shim to fit the blank (although I sometimes have to do this myself). Try to pick a grip with an id. smaller than the section of blank it will fit over. EVA will stretch quite a great deal, and when using RodBond as a lubricant it will slide right into place with a little persuasion.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster