I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

palm support seat
Posted by: Bob Barlas (---.axsne.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 02:29PM

I was under the impression that all four fingers fit before the trigger ( I know it's not really a trigger), and the seat rested on your palm. After fitting the reel in the seat, I can only fit three fingers before the trigger. Could I be using too large of a reel or do i not understand the palm support seat? There is also a lot of thread exposed after tightening. It looks out of place. Does anyone cut the threads down for a neater look? I'm very close to talking my customer out of this seat.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: palm support seat
Posted by: Erik Kunz (65.209.251.---)
Date: April 03, 2006 02:58PM

I often trim off some of the thread so long as I'm sure that the reel that will be used will still fit.

Here's a photo how my hand fits on that type of seat with an Abu 6500C3.

[www.kzreelrods.com]

I and many of my customers have grown to prefer this reel seat for various inshore saltwater rods as well as heavier freshwater applications (i.e. musky rods and heavier bass rods).

Erik

Posted by: Kenneth Doran j.r (---.dsl.skt2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 04:00PM

Sorry i dont know about this seat .But iam interested in putting it on my swimbait rod iam building.Erik it sounds like you really liks this reel seat.My rod is going to 8 ft length and heavy action.For throwing big baits for freshwater bass.Is this something you would put on a rod like this?More leverage on the rod and reel? or what is it like?Thanks for any info

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 07:25PM

I like how the reel seat allows your wrist to assume a more comfortable angle while palming the reel as opposed to a traditional trigger reel seat. I wouldn't say it does much for leverage per se, but rather more along the lines of comfort.

I also like the "big trigger" (that isn't really a trigger, but a palm support) for casting heavy lures... you can get two fingers around it and it just feels very solid in the hand.

As with everything, this is all a matter of preference. You won't truly know if you like it unless you get your hands on one. I've yet to recommend it to a customer who didn't wind up liking it and actually preferring it over a traditional trigger reel seat.

Erik

Posted by: cody mccrary (---.lf.br.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 02:43AM

who makes this reel seat i want to put it on my jig rod im building

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.qld.veridas.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 06:41AM

The palm support reel seat is made by Fuji. It is avalible in standard (part number PSSM20) and deluxe (part number PSSLD20) versions with frosted silver hood but only in one size 20mm.In my opinion it is a great reel seat for medium to heavy saltwater rods especially jig rods . It is very comfortable and offers good control.
Simon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster