I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st time dryer tips?
Posted by: doug bison (---.mn.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 01:29PM

I am getting ready to finish a rod, and have just gotten a dryer (4rpm).
I have both FlexCoat lite and heavy build finish.
It's a 6.5' walleye rod- and this will be my first time using a dryer. The other 2 rods I have build look good but without the use of a dryer (and my inexperience of course) there are some "footballs"
I'd appreciate some tips- recommendations on lite or heavy finish? Should I get the rod running on the dryer immediately after the first coat is complete? Wait a while?
Thanks,
Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st time dryer tips?
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 03, 2006 01:54PM

Footballs usually aren't a product of your drying method or the type of finish you use. It is a result of applying too much finish. Whatever method you decide to use to 'dry' your finish you must first remove all the excess epoxy that you applied. An easy method of doing this is to not turn the rod at all leaving the guides pointing up. Apply your epoxy to all the guides and let it sit. Be sure to have some aluminum foil under the length of the rod as you will most likely have some drips. After a minute or so you will surely notice your epoxy is sagging and possibly dripping. This is good because all those sags and drips are epoxy you didn't need on the wraps (that would have turned into footballs as it cured). Take a brush or spatula and wick the sags from the bottom of the wraps. I like to let it sit another minute or so and repeat the wicking process. Then turn the rod 180 with the guide pointing down. Wait a couple of minutes and remove any sags that appear during that time. Now you should be ready to turn on the dryer. Footballs 'should' be a thing of the past. Good luck!

Jay

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: April 03, 2006 03:07PM

Ditto!
Also, a thin first coat will help reduce bubbles if you did not use CP.
Read the directions and "helpful hints" that came with the finish!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2006 03:09PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 03:59PM

Jay said everything that I would have. 4 rpm. works. I like 18 rpm. better, though. Welcome to this wonderful addiction. (rodbuilding) LOL. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 04:25PM

I prefer FC Lite.
If you go that route, maked your first coat thin. Thin enough to see thread texture. If you dont use CP, work from the toe of the guide foot towards the heel, allowing the finish to penetrate the threads. This will push out most of the bubbles.
Flame the wraps to get those last bubbles out of the guide foot area. Put it on your dryer. I check for bubbles 2x in the first 30 min.
Pop them if they appear.
Let it turn overnight.
A subsequent coat, with the 'wicking' or 'drip' technique as Jay mentioned above is all you'll need.

RB

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 05:22PM

Like the rest said, the culprit is the amount of finish that you're using. Let the finish sag/drip , remove excess from bottom and rotate 180 degrees and repeat. ALL finishes will level but the blank has to be level and all excess finish has to be removed.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:38PM

Guys why is it that we seem to accept that the way to apply finish is to put too much on then spend time getting it off. Using rotation flames etc. My suggestion is go easy if you are inexpeirenced with finishing with high builds. Better to apply not enough as you can always go back for another coat. I just wonder about the brushes or tools being used to apply the finish These cheap brushe so loved by some are so clumsy I treckon they can be the culprits on some occasions. Some football shaped wraps are to some eyes very ok so it may not be the end of the world. Thing is if you have obviuosly applied too much finish why not remove it with a decent flat brush whilst the finish is still green. Much easier to do this way that allow the darned finish to fall off. Kinder on the floor to

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster