I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sold one of my rods at a fundraising @#$%&
Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 02, 2006 04:13AM

I'm so pleased with myself I just had to gloat a little it feels so good. For years before I got old, fat and incontinent my wife and I offered guided climbing trips up Mt. Rainier for various fund raising @#$%& here in Seattle. It was not uncommon to raise 4-5000 dollars for an organization to take a party of 4 up the mountain. But as I said my old bod just isn't what it used to be. So when I started fly fishing we started taking people out on a guided float of a local river here in the NW and raise money for organizations and groups that way. Good write off for us too. A weekend float would bring in upwards of 5-600 bucks but I would also fork over typically 400+/- bucks for the drift boat rental, camping/launch fees, food , gas, etc. This year I decided to build a rod for an @#$%& Item since I've been on the austerity program since December. I bought a pretty good Tiger Eye blank off of @#$%& for about 15.00, a handle and reel seat from Cabelas for about 50.00 and a very sexy antique red agate stripping guide for 26.00 and probably another 10 bucks for guides and flex coat. Had a very nice custom decal made up from Decal Connection and 4-5 hours of random time allotted to it and I produced a very sweet little rod that sold for an astounding 600.00 at a local @#$%& for a school fundraiser. I'm very pleased.
BjR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sold one of my rods at a fundraising @#$%&
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 02, 2006 05:16AM

Nice donation & sale! I would suspect @#$%& a rod lowers the liability 1,000x when compared to guiding and chartering a fishing trip on a rented boat. Good choice! Rodbuilders, donations, and charity @#$%& are almost tailor made for each other.

Jay

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: April 02, 2006 06:19AM

Great news! Good on ya! Only thing would have made it better would have been if you had bought your components from one of the sponsors here. Neal's beats @#$%& all to.................!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2006 12:14PM

Have built 5-6 rods mostly stand-ups to go to charity affairs for sick friends and children. The Money raised was never a Thought, but it felt great when the event was over

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.118.---)
Date: April 02, 2006 05:48PM

Save all your receipts and ask the organizers for a letter recognizing your donation. You can then claim a charitable donation on your taxes for the retail value you place on the donation. It's nice to "give back", but it's also nice to get a little something for your efforts besides good feelings.

Tim

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 11:07AM

I think I like the American system better...If I build and donate a rod for a fund-raisng/charitible @#$%&, the bidder who buys the item gets to claim the purchase price as the donation. The builder gets to claim squat, unless the builder is in the rod building business, and can claim the cost of building the rod as a business expense.
Or is it the same deal with private persons down your way, as well?

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 11:37AM

Ken Driedger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I like the American system better...If I
> build and donate a rod for a
> fund-raisng/charitible @#$%&, the bidder who
> buys the item gets to claim the purchase price as
> the donation. The builder gets to claim squat,
> unless the builder is in the rod building
> business, and can claim the cost of building the
> rod as a business expense.
> Or is it the same deal with private persons down
> your way, as well?

I believe the bidder can get a total write off of the dollar amount above the stated value of the rod. I valued the rod at $290.00 which included the costs for the components and some value for my time to produce it. So what ever is above that is deductible for the bidder. In this case the rod sold at @#$%& for close to $600.00. I valued it at $290.00 so the bidder can write off $310.00 because that is what goes as profit to the charity. I can write off only the expenses I put into producing the rod, I.E., the blank, guides, threads, epoxies, etc. Basically all of the components can be written off since I don't produce rods professionally for my income. If I did then the retail value of the rod can be deductible. But since I'm an occaisional rod building hack I can only write off the components and not my time.
It's not as big of a deduction for me as the expenses of renting a drift boat, camping fees, food etc. for a guided weekend trip that we usually donate to charities though. But in some ways it's more fun as I can see the results.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 11:50PM

I'm on my third @#$%& rod. @#$%& is Saturday

I love it......

Haven't had one sell for $600, though.

Way to go...

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster