I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat threads forward or rearward
Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 10:18PM

Somewhere i read that it depends on whether its a casting or spinning rod. Is there a "protocol" for which is the "most correct". I wont go into why Im asking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat threads forward or rearward
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 10:23PM

Strictly personal preference! If you notice, even the maufacturer's vary. Personally, I prefer the threads forward on my spinning rods because the way I hold them, my finger/thumb can rest right on the blank (no or small fore grip). With some this way causes the back of the hand to rest on the threads and find it uncomfortable. Depends on how you hold your rod. In some cases, it can also affect rod balance because it slightly changes the reel position. In either way, I always cut off any excess threaded material

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 01, 2006 10:36PM

Well it ended up with the threads near the foregrip but it wasnt intentional. For all practical purposes the rod is finished and is drying at the moment. I was finishing up the finish and as I sat there all of a sudden Im looking at the reel seat and said ^(*@##......my real seat is backwards! AND too top it off I forgot to trim the threads back.
I guess since it feels very comfortable with good balance its six of one half a dozen of another. But it sure makes me want to bite the head off a railroad spike. Thanks Mr .Mike

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 02, 2006 03:22AM

With a spin rod, it usually makes no never mind, and with a larger baitcaster, they are usually downlock. This so the holding hand will not want to loosen the reel with the style of grip, used to "palm" the reel, as the threads would be up front, by the digits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2006 12:04PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 02, 2006 05:22AM

Lately all my seats have been downlocking with the threads on top. I have a tendancy to loosen the threads with the palm of my hand on spinning rods with uplocking seats. The trend of trimming the threads on downlockers is appealing as is the no foregrip style. My last several rods have been built this way and the four I am currently working on will be as well.

Other than those reasons...it's really up to the builder.

Jay

Date: April 02, 2006 02:19PM

I have also noticed when using a spinning rod with the reel seat threads to the rear or butt that i would have to check freqently to see if the reel was secure. So maybe all is well. I just cant figure out how I didnt catch this before I assembled and not trimming off some threads???. I actually am glad that I have a chance to try this out because I did find the reel loosening annoying. Thanks for getting me straight on this isse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster