I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Do I need to rotate rod when using Permagloss ??
Posted by: Dan Miller (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: April 01, 2006 05:42PM

I gather that my application of Permagloss will be 4 - 8 coats on the tread. Do I or must I rotate the rod? Would the multiple thin coats of Permagloss find their own level or should I turn the blank over? How long? What speed?

Also, I have brand new Rod Bond, unopened, sitting on my shelf now for 1 year. Is it still O K to use?

Thanks,.

Dan Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do I need to rotate rod when using Permagloss ??
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 05:55PM

No rotation necc. when using Permagloss. The key is "THIN" coats. It will really make a wavy, bumpy look if you try to put it on other than thin.

Rod Bond- check the white colored part (can't remember if it's resin or hardner?) and see if it's grainy in texture. If it is, and it's not smooth and vaseline-like, set it in hot water until it is smooth or try 5 second bursts in the microwave until smooth again. Leave the lid off, of course, if nuked.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 07:50PM

I can't say for sure,as I personally haven't used more than a couple coats of the Permagloss on my wraps.
I do recall a post by Tom Kirkman on this very subject. I believe he indicated from his own experience with this finish,that more than three or four coats were problematic. By that, I mean that too many coats caused the wavy problem. I do know he posted pictures to show this effect on the wraps.
You might surf the photo gallery, as well as use the search feature to answer your question.
Best wishes,
Chuck

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.91.106.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 08:43PM

I put it on to thick once. Besides being wavey, it came out loaded with little bumps. It looked like poison ivy!!! THIN COATS!!!!!! Ed

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 09:53PM

Hello Dan
The Rod Bond is just fine it will last your life and mine. If the white stuff (Resin) crystalizes do as Putter suggested.
As Putter suggested regarding Perma Gloss. Simple apply thin coat. However you choose to apply it rotating or not the key is thin coats.
It is important to let the first coat dry throughly especially on threads. As Trondak points out in the instructions that comes with PG, the gases must escape and not be trapped as can occur with to thick a coat. So on threads- let it dry after applying just enough to saturate the threads and penetrate to the blank. Sometimes the tunnel of the wrap needs a little help to fill it, so wait a few minutes after applying the first coat and allow the PG left in the cup to thicken some and then apply it a drop at a time as needed to fill the guide foot tunnel. It will wick into it (the tunnel) and fill it. Some like to tip the rod to let gravity help in filling the tunnel.

The key to any coating on a rod is to not apply to much at one time. PG cures quickly so think thin. Apply as many thin coats as you want to get the build you desire. A Wavy finish is not caused by to many coats it is caused by applying to much in one coat for the viscosity and curing characteristics of what is being applied. Contamination and poorly prepared surfaces result in wavy finish too.
Hope this helps some.
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 02, 2006 12:20AM

Re: Permagloss ... Ralph O'Quinn ... 10/07/05 ... 01:34PM ... [www.rodbuilding.org] "There is no reason to ever put Permagloss on a turner. Permagloss is basically a lacquer. It will be dry before you can attach it to a rod turner. If you turned one for 2 hours, that was 1 hour, 59 minutes and 55 seconds longer than necessary. Properly applied Permagloss is too dry to create runs in about 30 seconds, and dry to the touch in 30 minutes. It should never be applied thick enough to have a tendency to run. ... Ralph O'Quinn"

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 02, 2006 12:59AM

Re: How long and frequently do you turn Permagloss? ... Cliff Hall ... 03/23/06... 08:40AM ... [www.rodbuilding.org] Trondak U-40's PermaGloss (PG), made by Ralph O'Quinn, [u-40.com] , should be applied to butt wrap or line guide thread so THINLY and so QUICKLY that turning the rod after application to "level it out" or keep it from "sagging" should be unnecessary." -ETC, etc, etc. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Dan Miller (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: April 03, 2006 07:52PM

Thank you all for your advice on using Permagloss.

Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster