I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does anybody have plans for a rod wrapper?
Posted by: David Hopwood (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:33PM

Hi Guys,

Normally I wrap my rods unaided by mechanical devices. However I want to get a little bit more sophisticated with my wraps, so does anyone have any dimensioned plans that they would like to share?

Thanks,

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anybody have plans for a rod wrapper?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:53PM

Look in the online library here or any of several back issues of RodMaker.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 02:19PM

When you say "little bit more sophisticated with my wraps" do you mean, more complicated fancy wraps?? If so, those are wrapped by hand, not under power.

Mike

Date: March 31, 2006 04:08PM

Hi Guys,

No, I am not talking about a power wrapper, just a jig that holds several bobbins of thread under tension without causing any fraying. Something like the Flex coat ones, but one that preferrably does not pinch the thread through two tensioned discs. From what I hear these can cause problems with metallic threads.

Tight lines,

Dave

Date: March 31, 2006 04:12PM

Forgot to add that as far as I know the Rod Maker magazine, or antyhing like it, is not available in the UK. I am cosidering a subscription, but I would like to see a copy before I buy. Do they do international subscriptions?

I have looked at the current library contents, but there is nothing listed at the moment. Is it possible to access an archive?

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2006 04:25PM

Your best bet is going to be accessing the various sponsors websites and looking at their selection of tools. A few offer stand-alone thread tensioners and devices that might give you some ideas. Same with the photo page here - lots of tool and jig photos there.

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 05:57PM

The book Building a fiberglass rod by Dale Clemens desbribes a couple of different tools that you can make to complete the blank. Old book, but it a good one and should be easy to find.

Tim

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.rea-alp.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 06:18PM

David, I sent you an email with a plan I foun on the net.

Chuck

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.166.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:31AM

Put your tension on the spool, not on the thread. Lots of ways to do it. Some cost a lot of cash, some don't. Look at the equipment photos. You should be able to get some good ideas.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 07:39AM

take a look at All American Guides in the Sponcer list on left for @#$%& thread Tensioner or look here www.aarollerguides.com/

Date: April 01, 2006 10:47AM

Hi Guys,

To those of you that I haven't thanked personally - thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Barry, re the @#$%& thread tensioner. I came across this a few days back whilst surfing the net. Have you any experience of them?

Regards,

Dave

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 08:57PM

Not in the library....Really? I see it listed as "The easy to build rod wrapping jig" by Greg P. Check again, its there.

If you'd like to see a few other ideas, check out the photos under my name. I put one together from solid red oak awhile back. It was very easy to build and I improved upon it by making it wider, extending the thread holder arm for better clearence, and installing guide pins from oak dowels.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster