I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium Guides...again
Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.228.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:25AM

Hello everyone,

I'm considering rebuilding a tip-heavy 13' steelhead float rod and the titanium guides got me thinking although I do have a case of sticker shock.

Which companies other than Fuji offer a titanium allow frame? I see that AMTACK makes the TITAN, but I'm not sure how they compare to Fuji. Also, are there any good sources to pick them up at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium Guides...again
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:33AM

On a 13 ft rod, I'm not sure you'd notice that much difference. The Titans are heavier, spinning frames are lower, and the ring isn't SiC. You get what you pay for. The price is pretty much the same wherever you get either guide. The position you hold float rods, at least I hold mine pretty high in the air, helps with the tip heavy feel.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 10:24AM

Good sources to pick them up at a reasonable price? What does that mean, teh prices are too hig? Use a different guide. I wish they had reasonably priced FErrari's.

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 11:13AM

Steve,

I use float rods a lot to trot floats and trust me weight is an issue especially with 13 foot of rod stuck out in front of you. Are you using centerpin reels or spinning reels with this rod and thin mono or braid type line. If you are then you can buy std Fuji match guides for peanuts compared to Titaniums in the same frame. Now whilst there is a weight difference between them it is not much as the guides are so small anyway. I would not be putting spinning type guides on a flaot rod. You do have to take into account that match guides are not enormously robust but they are strong enough unless you throw your rod around the undergrowth. Where to buy well if you PM me I can help you further. I am in tonight so I can get back to you dead quick. For a13 footer think in terms of 16 to 17 match guides to keep line of the blank when wind blows.even guides under the blank will not stocp line getting blown and then sticking to the blank if there are too few. Experience again Steve not guess work.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:34PM

Steve-

I have stated this before, maybe a search would bring it up, that there is a noticeable difference in weight comparing spinning guides and titans and Amtak titans and REC recoils.

The last few float rods I've built have had the AMTAKs on the butt section (3) and the recoils on the tip section of the 13' IST1562F Steelhead blank from Batson. I used a total of 14 guides including a guide as the tip top.

These rods were built for centrepinners. Guides were as follows 20, 16, 12 in TItans...then REC's in 10, then alot of 8's all the way to the tip. I suppose you could go with the 7's nearer the tip, but we chose the 8's for two reasons: 1. We fish in freezing temperatures where ice on the guides is an issue. 2. I've heard that the 7's sit too low to the blank and cause the line to stick near the tip. Also, skip the tip top, They cause a kink in the line as it goes through because of the guide to tip top height difference. Using a guide as the tip top is the best path to have the line follow on a float rod.

Is it worth it? Sure it is! Is it worth the cost difference to you? Only you can decide that!

Cost difference on a IST 1562F is $38 vs. $95 for the complete guide set!

Any more questions: defjam@core.com

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:45PM

"Also, skip the tip top, They cause a kink in the line as it goes through because of the guide to tip top height difference. Using a guide as the tip top is the best path to have the line follow on a float rod. "

Another way to do this is to use a tip top one size larger. That will add weight blah blah blah - but it's another alternative to using a guide.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 04:01PM

A lot of our customers go with the Recoil guides, although if you read carefully, they are a nickel titanium alloy and the tubes are anodized aluminum. They are a good choice and have been very popular lately, but not pure titanium throughout. This seems to be the case with most of the lower priced "Titanium Guides" Most lower priced models are have a titanium finish over stainless, or another material. When choosing look carefully at the descriptions. The true 100% titanium througout, are going to cost you no matter which brand you go with. Fuji has a titanium alloy frame (the SIC TLNS etc series which are somewhat reasonable, and others in the full titanium catagory (SIC and Gold Cermet). And yes these are going to cost you.

Pete

[www.ackfishing.com]

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 05:02AM

take a look at PACBAY they got some very "sexy" guides

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 05:11AM

Yes, they do. Prices are very sexy also. We carry their entire prioduct line

[www.ackfishing.com]
[www.fishpacbay.com]

Peter Maltby
Toll Free 866-285-0673

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster