I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5 piece 5wt med fast blank?
Posted by: Troy Ketela (65.164.31.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:00AM

My fishing buddy and graduate degree supervisor is retiring this spring and I'm thinking of building him a 5 piece 5wt pack rod as a gift. I've built him a variety of rods over the years on a variety of blanks (Dan Craft, Scott, All Star), but I want this one to be really special. I'm looking for a 5 wt, med fast rod in a 5 piece config that not only casts well, but is also finished nicely (by that I mean a great looking finish on the blank). We're both suckers for the Winston green finish to give you an example. No matt charcoal or black blanks please.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Troy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 piece 5wt med fast blank?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:25AM

Real quick I can think of the brown Rainshadow RX7+, and the CTS blanks which you can custom section and color.

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 10:05AM

Troy, Take a look at the Sage SLT 590-5. Not Winston green but not matte grey either.

Andy Snedden

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: March 31, 2006 10:15AM

Winston does sell blanks.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.27.234.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 10:39AM

Yeah, that's what I remember about grad school...having tons of extra money to give people $500 presents. Troy, if you can do it that's awesome and your advisor will be very happy. But, he'll be very happy anyway. It really is the thought that counts and you can build him a very nice rod for less money. If you can go down to 4pc. configuration, you'll have many more affordable alternatives in beautiful glossy green. Rainshadow RX7 and Rainforest and AmTak Matrix come to mind. You can splurge on beautiful handle components and still keep the overall cost something you can live with. In glossy brown, Tiger Eye blanks are gorgeous and look like very expensive rods if you finish them nicely.

My advisor at Clemson got something in a 6pc. configuration (aka six pack). I spent $7 and he seemed genuinely happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 10:46AM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Troy Ketela (65.164.31.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 11:01AM

I should have said "former" graduate degree supervisor. I've long since left his lab (about 8 years ago), although we still fish together on trips 4-5 times per year and keep in close touch. I've been working the biotech arena for several years and money isn't the issue like it was back when I was a grad student (thankfully!). I had a hefty student loan from grad school, most of which was accumulated purchasing fly fishing gear! ;-)

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!

Cheers,
Troy

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 12:31PM

Your graduate degree supervisor may get over the dark charcoal color of the Rainshadow RX8+ if he has the opportunity to cast one. It is available in a five piece configuration. Dress it up with nice components and he'll be proud to fish it. It is somewhat fast, but not extremely fast.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 09:50AM

mmmmmm you could get him a pair of coloured sunglasses too then he can have what colour he wants

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster