I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Struble U15 v REC RFTS for an #8wt rod
Posted by: David Hopwood (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:09PM

IHi Guys,

If you were building an #8wt bonefish rod which of these two real seats would you prefer and why?

Are any others I should consider?

Thanks,

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Struble U15 v REC RFTS for an #8wt rod
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:36PM

I've used the Struble U15 and like it very well on a 7wt I built. If you check the specs, the U15 has a smaller OD than the REC plus the Struble comes with a fighting butt. The only other difference is the sliding band on the REC stays in line with the reel seat but I don't see that as big deal. I'd go with whichever one you can get at the best price.

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:41PM

David,

I have actually built rods with both reel seats. Ok now I use the REC RFTS tru track real on my 10 wt. It is a very strong well made seat. I ilke the tru track hood. But make sure your reel foot fits. Most USA fly reel feet should.as there is a std now in place. I swim to rocks and my seat gets well wet. After two years of this abuse it is not corroded in any way. I rate this model very highly. Now would I put one on an 8 wt rod. Well the bore is quiote big so you will have to make big arbors to suit and you will, add weight. The REC is heavier than the U15. I would fit one to my 8 wts and it still would look perfectally proportioned. I would not hestitate to agree if asked by a customer to fit one on an 8 wt.

The U15 will be ideal for your 8wt. They now come with round hoods so fitting your own cork ring is easier if you do not like the supplied cork. They have good size dhoods and a smaller ID than the REC which means for a lighter total assembled weight. Your arbors will be smaller. Both are good looking seats . Cost is about the same AW carries both if I remember right.

Up to you your call. your money but you can't choose wrong.

Mike O.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:42PM

Just remembered I used an REC RSLS seat on a rod that had an ERN of 9.38 which I use now for Salmon. It cam with a transition ring that fit nicely up against a small Sage type fighting butt. I'd say it six of one, half dozen of the other - pick one!

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:48PM

Hi Tim,
Yes it does have a nice finishing ring the REC It's my go to seat for anything from 8wt and up. Yes I think it;s that good.

Tim you are right the U15 can come with a fighting butt. This is optional. I don't use the Struble fighting butt as it is built on a metal shaft and is much heavier than my own turned fighting butts glued directly to the blank

If you don't want the FB ask for the seat without it and save a few $$$$.

Date: March 30, 2006 02:28PM

I was slighltly concerned about the U15's smaller size as I would have expected an O.D. of about 0.75" for an #8wt reel seat. If there is no problem with this it is by far the cheapest option here in the U.K.

I have made several rods, but always used REC nickel silver components, NBS's, NSUSL & NSGXL's. I have always been impressed with the quality of these, but have no experience at all of Struble. The REC's have proved to be an expensive proposition though, after import duty and VAT, plus Parcel Forces "express removal from customs" charges. I guess you won't be familiar with the latter, but it's sure is a rip off. I have also had some problems with REC's quality control and had to return some parts to the U.S.A. or had them replaced without return. When they are right they are truly excellent!

The REC RFTS is available with a fighting butt and a urethane arbor. Yes, I want a fighting butt and "o" ringed twin locking nuts. I have found that sourceing a fighting butt for the Struble's is not as straight forward as the REC offerings. For some reason Struble do not make this at all easy, nor offer the options that REC do.

So, in conclusion, I gather that the quality of the two seats is comparable and that the U15's size is not a problem.

Excellent.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted by: mike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 04:32AM

Dave,

Sounds familiar. Look I am in the Uk to. So I feel your pain when it comes to importing stuff from the USA. If you want to give me a ring that's fine. Not that many of us rod builders I can tell you. You can email me at bassangleruk@aol.com and we can maybe hook up. I live near Birmingham. If you want to see a U15 with the std fighting butt I have one. I can also tell you where you can get them from in the UK if you don't know who I am thinking of. For good general info on the range take a peak at AW.

I too have had the occasional quality glitch with REC. Mainly with cork products but they have always been very responsive in sorting them out. I like both Struble and REC seats. If we are not too far aprt I can also show you a 10 wt rod fitted with an RFTS. But the U15 is plenty big enough for any relevant sized reel that you will mount on an 8wt. We have to get used to the fact that god components seem expensive. Measured over time they are nealry always better value than low cost less good parts. It took we some time to ove away from Fuji DPS type seats for fly rods. But the new gendre of UK based destination type of Fly Fisher want the best.

Cheers for now

Mike Oliver

Posted by: David Hopwood (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 06:52AM

Hi Mike,

Nice to meet you. I am a good 2.5hrs away from you on the motorway, but that does not stop us having a chat via email if you would like to chew the fat. Drop me a line when you can.

I think you got the impression I was complaining about the cost of the REC real seats, not so, I was only complaining about the hidden extra expenses that you get upon importation. The last order I placed with REC was for a Flor grade reversed half wells grip and an NSUSL-BP seat with a Black Ash Burl insert. I didn't mind the import duty and VAT (I did really), what really got muy goat was being charged £13.50 by Parcel Force for "express removal" from customs. Something should be done about them, and soon! If my parcel had come via UPS or any other carrier service that I know of I would not have had that charge to pay.

All the best,

Dave

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 07:24AM

David,

Don't bank on that. LOL

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 10:08AM

David, I used the U-15 on Dan Craft FT 10 and 12 weight rods that I take to Baja for Dorado fishing. The I.D. is smaller and I can bush the rod with drywall mesh. I also like the fact that the rubber O ring is not recessed in the locking ring. I have had O rings get too hot and deform under the pressure of tightening. If the U-15 ring deforms, the rings will still lock the reel in place. If the ring is recessed, your reel may not be secure on the rod. If you are fishing in cooler conditions, that is not likely to be a problem.

Date: March 31, 2006 01:17PM

Thanks Dan,

The #8wt rod i have in mind to build will mostly be used for Pike fishing in the U.K., but it will also be used in Florida for bucket mouths, stripers, possibly red's and line siders.

I take on board your comments regarding the heat, this is something that I had not cosidered at all. I have definitely decided to give the U15 a try.

Tight lines,

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster