I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NCP Thread in smaller sizes
Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:57PM

Hi folks,

Does anyone make NCP thread in sizes smaller than "A"? I can't seem to locate anyone who does.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NCP Thread in smaller sizes
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:48PM

That might be because it doesn't exist?

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:49PM

Hi Billy

Dry as ever. LOL

Mike O

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 03:31PM

Thanks Billy,

Everyone who honestly seeks information always appreciates a sarcastic answer.

Harry

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 03:32PM

I use a lot of Gudebrod nylon in 00 size which is smaller than A. they also make the 00 in silk but it isn't as strong as the nylon, I use it in my split diamonds along with FishHawk metallic which is closer to the 00 in size than the Gudebrod A.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 03:49PM

Your welcome, glad I could help.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 30, 2006 06:46PM

It seems that the smallest size of NCP Nylon Thread is indeed size A.

That may be because the NCP treatment process SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCES the TENSILE STRENGTH of the Nylon Thread for a given DIAMETER. And the Thread SIZE is based upon the thread DIAMETER, not tensile strength. I don’t think a Size 2/0 NCP would be strong enough, IMO.

For GUDEBROD Brand of REGULAR Nylon Thread:
Size 2/0: 8 threads / millimeter x 1.8# = 160# per cm-band
Size A: 6 threads / millimeter x 2.7# = 155# per cm-band

For GUDEBROD Brand of NCP ("No Color Preserver") Nylon Thread:
Size A: 6 threads / millimeter x 2.2# = 125# per cm-band

I’m gonna guess that the NCP Thread in a Size 2/0 Diameter (8 threads per millimeter) would have a Tensile Strength of ~ 1.4# and a wrap strength of ~ 110#/cm. That would make it the LEAST STRONG of all the offerings, a distinction that I am guessing Gudebrod did not want to give it. … Well, that’s my guess work on this. What is certain is that no one around here at the RBO Forum has reported that NCP thread is available in a size smaller than Size A. –Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.151.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:17PM

Your bad Billy LOL

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:45PM

RE: Billy40,

Don't blame it on his personality, blame it on his geography!! LOL He's a great guy, really!!

Bill in WV

Date: March 30, 2006 11:01PM

re Billy-
It's the chin fuzz, he doesn't even realize he doing it cuz the fuzz effects the brain cells like drugs, not implying he does drugs, nor to say there is anything wrong with those that do..........................................now guys with chin fuzz that do drugs, they got real problems........................

Note to self - revise Skinny Thread Club by-laws regarding chin fuzz, research chin fuzz on Google

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:24PM

To the Two Bills & Jim K. - Thanks for the laughs. ... Blame it on his geography ! and goat beard.

Hey. Billy V. - Wanna do some "Vertical Jigging" this weekend? Or is it too early for the annual Boston Mackeral run. ... Meanwhile the Detroit River will be filled with Walleye fishermen holding their lines perfectly vertical, wondering why their rods can't be just 3 feet longer, ...

My car's alternator belt broke ~ 7pm when I was on my way out for the evening, so I could use the laughter, being stranded home until I can get to the mechanics tomorrow. -Cliff Hall+++

Date: March 31, 2006 12:09AM

I was being serious, I wouldn't joke about important things like that, well................. maybe once in awhile

Actually, my youngest son(age 25, high school english teacher) has chin fuzz but not as long as Billy......................... but my son is smart and doesn't build rods, he lets me build them for him............................................. maybe I need some chin fuzz.................................... no, I prefer to stay married , too old to find another woman who would tolerate my hobbys

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.192.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:21AM

Nothing wrong with being from the Northeast. We got a city that is so nice we had to name it twice. We just get nervous when we hear low flying planes Doooowwwww

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:30AM

Older size "D" NCP by the gude folks is 4 filaments.....I've broken it down into the four x 50 yards, for 1 x 200 yards, for fly tying purposes, but never tried a rod with 1/4th the thread. It was pretty thin. But made great tying thread, for the patterns I was into, at that time. Unsure how many filaments they currently are using, in any size they do. but, these single filaments as described are way thinner than straight A of today.
It's very easy to open up the thread, and make a single filament form 4. It just takes forever, for what you get. -)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 01:35AM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 12:50PM

I was trying to be a little funny!! But, as I told Billy at Charlotte, I have worked with a few folks from NY city and they all had that same dry humor and put up with no stupidity or @#$%&. They were all great people though!! As for the chin fuzz, mine has spread across my whole face for @ 20 years now. My wife liked it (God rest her soul) and my fiance' likes it so I'm keepin' it, plus it keeps my face warm in the winter. Now back to rodbuilding. I haven't used anything smaller than A, so I'm no help there.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster