I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

advice about mod/fast fly blanks
Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:34AM

Here’s what I am trying to do, I want to build a medium fast action 9 ft #4 fly rod for fishing the tailwaters. Have some questions about various mid priced fly blanks.

Has been awhile since I've built a fly rod, back to it now and I'd like to consider something besides a Rainshadow and Pac Bay. Does anyone have any experience building and fishing the Shikari fly blanks? Was considering the SHIII series fly blanks.

Was also thinking about the Lamiglas Perigee, is the new line of blanks similar to the old? Were there any problems with thin walled blanks being prone to breakage?

I like the Talon Highlander also, and wanted to consider the Anglers Workshop blanks, maybe the Generation 3 (AF86B4F) or the Stream Stalker series (SAF8645)

Can anyone offer any feedback? How long has Shikari been building fly blanks?

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: advice about mod/fast fly blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:46AM

The original Lamiglas Perigee were very easy to cast. I only tried one, a 5-weight model, and it was just fine. My brother comanderied it a couple years ago.

The Shikari fly blanks don't get a lot of press, but they're quite good. Surprisingly good in fact.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:34PM

I have one of the older Perigee 5/6 rods and my son another, we haven't had a breakage problem. Also have a 9 wt that has been salmon stress tested many times. I like the Angler's blanks also, though I've never fished for the 4 wt. I think they are were built by GUSA, I know the Salt Stalker series were.
If you aren't in a hurry the Dan Craft blanks I would add to the mix. The new FLTs are in and the new 4 piece Sig V should be here soon. The old Sig V 8 ft 9 in 3 piece was flat awesome.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 02:07PM

BAF904-2,or BAF904-4,Austin Fly Rod Blanks(www.allstarrods.com)

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 04:22PM

I haven't built the Perigree PFT1083/4. However, I do have a PFT1086/7 and a PFT1088/9 that I absolutely love! I've put many, many miles on my PFT1086/7, and I'm still fishing it hard every time I go to the river/lake/pond/etc. It's my "go-to" rod in just about every situation, except for the tiny flies. I do have one of the PFT1083/4s that I just haven't built up yet, but it won't be too long. If it performs as well as the other Perigrees, then I know I'll be quite happy. Can't say enough positive things about the Perigrees.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:05PM

Dan Craft!

The FLT's are great! And the new Sig V's are due in...Dan things they will be as delicious as the old ones....give him a call!

Keith

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.lcwireless.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:31PM

The Perigees are superb blanks. Aside from being stunningly beautiful they have a complex action: the top 1/3 is relatively soft, allowing delicacy for close up fishing, easy mending, strike sensitivity, etc; the bottom 2/3 is quite powerful, so if you need distance or leverage against a fish, there's plenty there.

I use my 4/5 a lot on the famous San Juan River in northern New Mexico. It's an excellent tailwater with plenty of fish over 20" -- the average Rainbow is about 18" and 24" fish are not uncommon. I can recommend the 4/5 Perigee (or the 3/4 Perigee) without hesitation. You'll really enjoy the 4/5 for tailwater fish, guaranteed.

Jim

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:47AM

Thanks to everyone for the information and helping me to decide which blank to put some of my time into. I wonder why Lamiglas discontinued the Perigee for awhile? I thought maybe they may have had some breakage issues due to the thin walled blanks and they discontinued them but maybe not. This thing about building a rod is kind of subjective, when I take the time to build a rod for myself, I want the blank to be a great quality rod with the action that i like and I want it to be beautiful in a simple way. So, maybe the Perigee is the way to go.

Jim, the 4/5 designation, does that mean it'll fish with both weight lines? If I want the rod to load with the 4 weight would I go for the 3/4 or the 4/5? I should know this but I don't remember anymore how they're listed in the catalogs. Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 06:08PM

Tim,
The Perigee blanks were I think discountinued because they originally made these "rodbuilder only" blanks in every style and type of blank. I have fly, livebait, surf,salmon/steelhead, bass and walleye rods in Perigee. They were also if I remember right a little spendier than they are now. When they discountinued them, the price dropped, lots more people tried them and really liked them, but the die was cast. They only brought back the more popular fly blanks.
The dual line weight designation usually means the rod will work best with a 4 wt DT line or a 5 wt WF. This is of course a manufacture's arbitrary designation. You may like it with different lines.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster