I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rods 4 Troops update from Navy MWR
Posted by: Bob Lee (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:12PM

Dear rod builders,

As prompted by Mr. Jim Upton, I want to give you an update on where the rods went. The attached letter is from Bill Winters of Navy MWR (with Mr. Winters' permission). It contains details on destination of the rods that you will find interesting.

Thanks again to you who supported this effort. I will update you when I have a good plan in place to do this again.

Tight wraps!

Bob Lee
Pacific Bay International, Inc.

===========
Bob--

Great to hear from you. As a mater of fact, I received your colored-catalog earlier this week and was thumbing through it looking at the various components, thinking, damn these guys (rod makers) are good.

When I was growing up in southern Oregon (Rogue River Valley), I though it was cool to tie flies and catch steelhead on them. I remember how proud I was whenever I caught fish on flies that I had tied. I can only imagine the satisfaction one gets when they have built their rod by hand--pretty amazing stuff.

Where did the rods go? I worked closely with the command Master chief for U.S. Naval Central Command/5th fleet, at Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, and had him identify those commands, detachments, or units of military personnel (both Sailors and Marines) that were situated near or at locations where they could use the gear to fish. Some units were security detachments at former royal palaces where there were large ponds; other units were serving on oil rigs (protecting against sabotage); others were assigned to small boats in the inner coastal waterways of the Arabian Gulf where the Euphrates and Tigress River discharge into the sea. Finally, a handful of the heavier action rods made it to one of the minesweepers temporarily home ported in the United Arab Emirates.

As you may recall, you hooked me up with Okuma and we outfitted each rod with an appropriately matched reel. We also worked with Bass Pro out of Springfield and secured a packed tackle box for each rod and reel combination. Each box was chock-full of line, lures, terminal tackle, plastics, jigs--all of which was quality equipment. I purchase some four-inch PVC and we made some durable rod savers for the shipment overseas. Wherever a rod went, a reel went, and where they were shipped, a tackle box was provided.

I remember seeing notes and letters attached to some of the rods--specifically a rod made for a Marine, with the anchor and globe on the reel butt, and "Semper Fi" etched on the rod itself. I remember thinking, "what a privilege and honor it will be for the Marine getting to use this special rod." I made sure every letter stayed with its rod. I too hoped that some of these rod builders would have established at least a pen pal relationship with recipient of this equipment. Should we repeat this program, I'm pretty confident we can do much better on this aspect of it.

We had purchased disposable cameras and placed one in each tackle box that was shipped. I received two cameras in the mail and had the photos developed. for whatever reason, all of the pictures pretty much failed and it was difficult to figure out images--someone told me it had to do with the security scanning system of boxes mailed stateside from military locations. The photos were so bad I had to pitch them. This time I hope to have command's use a digital camera and send the images to me via Internet.

If we're to do get together and do something like this again, and I certainly hope we do, I have a couple of suggestions that may be useful to you and your craftsmen. For rods and reels going overseas to SWA, we may want to make them a bit more stout, with the majority of fishing occurring from ships in the harbor, oil rigs on the flats, and patrol boats in the inner coastal waterways. for those rods and reels being shipped inland to Marines and other units, the type of rods and reels supplies last time were ideal.

Standing by to assist and to provide the assistance necessary to kick this off. We have plenty of lessons learned from last time and we're much better at logistics than before.

Hopefully, your good friends from Okuma wil be up for the challenge as well.

V/R

BILL WINTERS
Navywide MWR Commercial Sponsorship Coordinator
Commander, Navy Installations, Command
=========================

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rods 4 Troops update from Navy MWR
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:01PM

Thanx Bob, I appreciate the update. Perhaps one day we will get a letter or picture with a fish from one of the recipients. It's a great program and one that I will be glad to participate in again.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:41PM

Bob, If the Rods 4 Troops program goes again with the need for more "stout tackle", I'd be willing to participate and I'm sure others with the NorthEast RodBuilderS would do likewise.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:39PM

Hey Bob,
Please count me in as well for the next time! It would be an honor to assist in any way I can!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.st)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:48PM

Ditto for me , if you do it again I'd like to be involved.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:08AM

What type rods are being sent to these guys ? I would like to know so I can have a blank ready if and when it goes off again
Thanks

Posted by: Bob Lee (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 12:04PM

Hi gang,

You guys all have big hearts. Thanks! I will put your names down and keep you updated on how it goes.

Have a great weekend!

Bob Lee
Pacific Bay International, Inc.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 02, 2006 08:29PM

I have some of the Andy Dear saltwater specials here at the house that sound like they'd work. If this starts again let me know and I'll build some and donate others to the pool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster