I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stabilized wood revisited....
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 05:14PM

A quick run-thru at search reveals a few threads on this product...my question goes to pre-boring a blank before sending to be stabilized. (I did not see anything like this at search)
One of the firms listed in the thread from search will do up to 4 samples for a decent price, to see if the wood picked will accept the stabilization process.
Why not "rough out" a blank first, then send away? Get it round, with a bore hole, then get it stabilized? I'll send an e-mail off to the company as well, to see what they can add. edited for spelling.
Thanks. KD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 05:16PM by Ken Driedger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stabilized wood revisited....
Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:10PM

Ken, I was wondering the same thing, just never got around to finding out for myself. Could you post what you find out, or email me directly. I would like to know also, thanks, Rich.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:53PM

The stabilizing process will warp the wood somewhat from my experience. You most likely will end up having to re bore a crooked hole in order to mount it on a mandrel. I had wood stabilized using blocks and rounds bored and solid. Unless someone has an improved process since I tried it I wouldn't pre-bore again.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:55PM

Since most places charge by the pound for stabilizing, I would think that it would be cheaper to bore and rough turn it first. Saves in shipping costs also

Stan, we must have been typing at the same time!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 12:30AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:25PM

Stan is correct, the wood will absolutely warp and probably twist as well. Don't drill it before you send it. The only way the small amount of wood removed while drilling would change the shipping cost is if you send it UPS or Fedex. The only sensible way to send it is Priority Mail in a flat rate envelope, it won't matter what it weighs.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:06PM

I agree with Stan & Jerry.

The wood will change in the stabilizing process. Check out this site.

[www.rrpwhite.com]

I ordered some Box Elder & fiddleback maple and received some nice pcs...quick shipping...will work with smaller quanties and seems to be willing to do custom sizes. He sent me some 1" x 1" x 4 1/2. Little bigger than pen blanks which allows a bit more room for error on the drill press.

He told me he was intending on checking into sponsorship on this site...

Posted by: David Gonder (---.bmts.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 08:34PM

Folks,

I've had lots of experience stabilizing reel seat turning stock. Yes, boring and turning round will save expense both on shipping and stabilizing costs, but what you save isn't really worth the time invested in the turning and boring I don't think. I have pre-bored square stock but that was to facilitate drying, not to save money on stabilizing. This, by the way, is a great way to help dry square, reel seat sized turning stock wihtout checking if it is not dry. I did have these peices stabilized when they were dry and they stabilized fine, but you do have to re-bore the holes as the pieces commonly warped when stabilized. The degree of warping depended on the species. Hope this helps.

Dave.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster