I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread size for guides
Posted by: doug bison (---.mn.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:46AM

I'm preparing to build my 4th rod- a 6.5' rod for MN walleyes.
I'm interested in opinions of the thread size for guide wrapping.
I've used size A on my past rods, but lately I've been noticing a lot of
people recommending size D for just about everything, save for ultralites.
I guess I don't see the benefit to a thicker thread here, a time saver with less wraps?
Comments/opinions will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread size for guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 12:02PM

I wouldn't use it on anything but heavy saltwater rods, not even sure I'd use it if I underwrapped and finished my underwraps before putting the guides on. The wraps look coarser to me. G Loomis and some other factories use B thread on their rods.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 12:05PM

Doug,
I use A on everything, even heavy duty catfish rods. I don't even have any D thread. It will save you time in wrapping, but personally I don't think it looks very good at all. It will take more wear and abuse than A, but if an average walleye rod is taking the amount of abuse that would require D, you are going to have bigger problems than wrap wear to worry about. Plus it adds that much more weight to your wraps, not something you want on this type of rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 01:05PM

I never use anything but A, although I don't do heavy salt stuff. I do primarily walleye and musky and always use A, no underwraps and single foot guides (as small as I can get away with) with the exception that I sometimes use a double foot as a butt guide on Bumper wrapped musky rods.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 29, 2006 01:07PM

For GUDEBROD Brand of REGULAR Nylon Thread:
Size 2/0: 8 threads / millimeter x 1.8# = 160# per cm-band
Size A: 6 threads / millimeter x 2.7# = 155# per cm-band
Size D: 4 threads / millimeter x 7.4# = 285# per cm-band
Size E: 3 threads / millimeter x 11.6# = 350# per cm-band

From: TITLE: "Gudebrod Thread Table: Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E". For general reference, a Table of Calculated Strengths and Weights of UNFINISHED Gudebrod Thread Wraps for Sizes 2/0-E, for Silk, Regular Nylon, NCP and HT Metallics, assuming a thread wrap bandwidth of 1 cm, around a rod blank of circumference of 1 cm (OD = 1/Pi = 3.18 mm), is available at: [www.rodbuilding.org]
Calculated values, not direct "in-situ" measurements.
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: warren commander (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 05:46PM

I like "C" for cobia, blackfin and mackeral sticks. It seems the best tradeoff for looks versus strength.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:12PM

Try some B size thread. Made by National Tackle. That could be a little different for you. National makes the B size.

Toll Free 866-285-0673 for any info.

Pete
ACK Fishing & Tackle

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:54PM

For GUDEBROD Brand of NCP ("No Color Preserver") Nylon Thread:
Size A: 6 threads / millimeter x 2.2# = 125# per cm-band
Size C: 4 threads / millimeter x 4.6# = 175# per cm-band
Size D: 3 threads / millimeter x 5.1# = 155# per cm-band

Notice that the WEAKEST Nylon Thread in ALL Sizes is the NCP, and that the Size D of NCP is NOT any stronger (and may even be weaker) than the Size C.

For GUDEBROD Brand of TRIMAR Nylon Thread:
Size C: 4 threads / millimeter x 4.5# = 175# per cm-band

For GUDEBROD Brand of HT-METALLIC Sheathed Nylon-Core Thread:
Size A: 7 threads / millimeter x 3.5# = 235# per cm-band
Size D: 4 threads / millimeter x 8.0# = 310# per cm-band

Notice that the Gudebrod METALLICS have higher theoretical wrap strengths than the SAME SIZE (A or D) of REGULAR or NCP Nylon Thread.

For GUDEBROD Brand of REGULAR Nylon Thread:
Size 2/0: 8 threads / millimeter x 1.8# = 160# per cm-band
Size A: 6 threads / millimeter x 2.7# = 155# per cm-band
Size D: 4 threads / millimeter x 7.4# = 285# per cm-band
Size E: 3 threads / millimeter x 11.6# = 350# per cm-band

AGAIN, Since most testers who make such a claim around here at the RBO Forum say that it takes over 35 pounds of force applied DIRECTLY to the guide ring to seriously dislodge a guide from its footing under a properly wrapped line guide, then EVEN the WEAKEST Thread (NCP Size A) has a SAFETY MARGIN of over 3 TIMES that failure point (125# / 35#).

Typically, the Size A Threads have a Safety Margin of over 4 to 1,
and the Size E Regular Thread has a Safety Margin of 10 to 1.

From: TITLE: "Gudebrod Thread Table: Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E". For general reference, a Table of Calculated Strengths and Weights of UNFINISHED Gudebrod Thread Wraps for Sizes 2/0-E, for Silk, Regular Nylon, NCP and HT Metallics, assuming a thread wrap bandwidth of 1 cm, around a rod blank of circumference of 1 cm (OD = 1/Pi = 3.18 mm), is available at: [www.rodbuilding.org]
Calculated values, not direct "in-situ" measurements.
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:28AM

I have done 80# IGFA chair rods triple wrapped with all size A thread. No problems so far and you get some nice flat wraps w/o all that build-up of thread.

Jay

Posted by: doug bison (---.mn.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:29AM

Cliff, you are nothing if not very thorough. I apprecaite all of your information. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster