I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two part question, Shimano Spirex, Solstace, reel up sweep. J-Metallic thread.
Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:16AM

Hi, I was wondering if the new model Shimano Spirex, Solstace, 2500 rear drag, has the same up sweep and reel foot length as old 2000 size models, anyone have a old and new model they could compare, would help me very much, thanks.
I was also wondering about the J-Metallic thread that Mudhole sells, wondering what you think of it and can it be used for full wraps, trim wraps, does need CP, does not need CP. Your thoughts about the A size would be great. Have a nice day, Rich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two part question, Shimano Spirex, Solstace, reel up sweep. J-Metallic thread.
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 29, 2006 12:46PM

Specifically:
I'm at a bit of a loss for brand-specifcs on your 2+part questions.

Generally: Regarding REELS -
1A: Reel foot lengths & toe-tapers are usually sufficiently universal with respect to reel seat hoods and reel seat barrel lengths that they are not often a consideration. However, if you will shorten a barrel or make a skeleton or open-blank reel seat, you may need to carefully measure and test-fit everything before you do your handle glueing.
1B: The Reel's "Upsweep Angle" can sometimes be a misleading design parameter in the Intersect Method for Concept Spacing of Guides on a Spinning Rod. Some reels have an Intersect Point that is clearly inconsisent with the other known and sound priciples of rod-building and guide spacing. I would not include or exclude a particular spinning reel from my list of suitable choices for a spinning rod based on the Upsweep Angle. IMO, Upsweep Angle is almost totally IRRELEVANT to reel selection and to Guide Spacing, so refresh your mind with that knowledge. The Spinning Reel's Spool Diameter and the Drop-Distance below the rod blank (along with the type of line you will spool) most certainly DO influence your guide sizing, your Butt Guide placement, and the aggresiveness of your Choking Funnel (between the Butt Guide and your Intersect Point).

Generally: Regarding METALLIC or SIZE-A Thread -
2A: Metallic-foil or mylar-film covered thread does not NEED Color Preserver (CP). These coatings or sheaths (around the nylon core fiber) are usually impervious to liquids, and therefore not in danger of turning translucent when thread finish (epoxy or solvent-based) is applied to the thread.
2B: Almost any brand of Thread sold specifically for wrapping fishing rods has a tensile strength that is more than sufficient to produce a band of thread whose wrap will never let go of the line guide under actual fishing conditions. Size-A Thread is DEFINITELY quite strong enough to confidently handle a wide range of rods and line guides. Only on the heaviest rods rated at 50# and up would a majority of rod-builders start to say that it is time to use heavier Thread (Size C, D or E), or two over-wraps. Just use an appropriate amount of thread TENSION while wrapping, and the line guides will not shift inside the wrap. ... -Cliff Hall+++

You can see for yourself these relative strengths & weights:

TITLE: "Gudebrod Thread Table: Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E" For general reference, a Table of Calculated Strengths and Weights of UNFINISHED Gudebrod Thread Wraps for Sizes 2/0-E, for Silk, Regular Nylon, NCP and HT Metallics, assuming a thread wrap bandwidth of 1 cm, around a rod blank of circumference of 1 cm (OD = 1/Pi = 3.18 mm), is available at: [www.rodbuilding.org]
Calculated values, not direct "in-situ" measurements.
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Re: Two part question, Shimano Spirex, Solstace, reel up sweep. J-Metallic thread.
Date: March 29, 2006 03:00PM

Hi Cliff, thank you for your reply, very informative. I guess I miss stated what I was looking for as far as spinning reel dimensions, should have put it as you did, Drop-Distance below the rod blank. I have always liked the design of the Shimano Spirex 1000 and 2000 reels, also like the rear drag, just in case something bigger than what you was planning on takes your lure. It seems they are discontinuing the 2000 with rear drag, and going to 2500 size. I was also wondering about the J-Metallic thread from mudhole because I ordered a few different colors and was wondering what it was like to work with, and the appearance compared to other metallic brands. Thank you for your great answers.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 04:13PM

I've found the J Metallic thread to be the weakest of the metallic threads I've tried including the Gudebrod, Rice and FishHawk brands. the only color I use is the antique gold for trim accents. I wouldn't recommend it for guide wraps, for that I like HT metallic A which is also my thread of choice for weaves.

Date: March 29, 2006 04:39PM

Hi Jim, thank you for your response. I guess I have a lot of thread for trim accents, that is what I mainly wanted it for. Now have to see if I like the Pewter, Bronze, Black, Copper. Live and learn, thank you for your reply.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:23PM

If you start wrapping guides with HT Metallic you may consider a thread spool tensioner instead of one where the thread is drawn through pressure plates for tension. The are a few colors of HT like the black and red where the cover will strip back quite easily. You can make one quite simply. This one is portable, weighted and the legs will fit into a rod lathe bed.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Fsh No Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 08:24PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: March 30, 2006 08:06AM

Bill, thank you for the advise and the photo, Rich.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:05AM

I was concerned about some properties of the Gudebrod threads and the information posted on their web site. I got in touch with a Mr. Paul Black yesterday with Gudebrod who was very helpful in getting the questions I had about metallics answered. I was surprised to learn the the HT stands for High Tenacity. The term refers primarliy to the extremely thin inner core strength when compared to other fibers. The HT line of products is recommended as a guide wrap thread by the manufacturer. Paul told me that the Gudebrod literature for conventional nylon thread includes a phrase that names nylon as the the best thread for guide wraps. The HT threads are a later innovation and they simply have not gone back and written the older text on nylon. The nylon is still their largest seller.

Paul really is knowledgable on rod wrapping thread and it seems to be his life as well. He would fit in very well in doing a general seminar on rod wrapping threads and their properties for the annual rodbuilder's meeting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster