I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Doc Ski weaves
Posted by: Jeff McGee (208.12.17.---)
Date: March 28, 2006 05:25PM

Does anyone know if a website exists that shows the full spectrum of Doc Ski's designs? I recently purchased one of his designs from a local retailer, but there was no picture of what it will look like upon completion. The design was titled "salmon deluxe" has any of you done or heard of this design and have photos of it? I would like to see it before spending all that time on the project. And Doc, if you are out there, do you specifically have a chinook salmon design? I would like to build my father a new sage SA series rod for his birthday and that is what I want to put on it for him. I purchased his DVD, a very useful tool, did a weave on my rod, and now I'm hooked on weaving for rod designs.

Thanks Guys,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Doc Ski weaves
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 05:33PM

What I do with patterns from Doc and others is graph them out before doing the weave-it doesn't take that long to do that-I use small size graph paper. That way you can see if you like what its gonna look like when you weave it. It will also allow you to detect mistakes in the left list prior to doing the weave which is much better than after the weave!! It will also allow you to make any changes you might wish to make prior to doing the weave. It is rare when I don't make a change on someones else's pattern prior to weaving it for one reason or another. Believe me, I've found left list errors in just about everyones patterns including my own with the only exception being those wiennies that don't use left lists!!!
If it's a color change pattern, use different marks for the diff colors such as dots, x's, crosses etc. when graphing out the pattern.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 06:49PM

Wienie huh. You just need to learn to work from the pattern and save yourself all that grief. Jeff, do as Jim suggests it's the only way to go. Then just work from the pattern. If you go to Hiro's site www.hirods.net and to the Doc Ski weaves section you may be able to find what your looking for but if he has more than one you won't know which it is.

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.s)
Date: March 28, 2006 06:53PM

Guess I'm a wiennie, but I'm very comfortable weaving off the pattern and I already know what it looks like.

Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.tci.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 08:40PM

Sort of off topic - but...............
When I am in the mood to create a new weave pattern, I go to the computer and use excel.
I make columns and rows into small box squares - numbering the columns and rows - then start filling in the boxes with black (or colors) to make the desired pattern. This makes it easier to add or change (or throw away as a bad idea). I like to work directly from the visual pattern rather than from a left list.
Then I can save the work, print it out and can use it several times.
This is extra work, but it saves time in the long run.
So far my pattern library is small - but slowly growing - give it a few more years (I am only 69)

If people spent more time on important things, there would be a shortage of flyrods.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 28, 2006 10:24PM

Doc does have the graphed patterns. He is unable to attend his emails at the moment due a family illness but if you email him on docski377@aol.com he will get back to you as soon as he can.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 28, 2006 10:25PM

Jeff,
Can you give me an email.

bearclawrods@iprimus.com.au

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 10:44PM

I know Doc is at his dad's house tending to him after he was hospitalized. He's doing better, but Doc will be with him for maybe a few more weeks. It might be a while before he can get back to you on the email, but he will as soon as is possible.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jeff McGee (208.12.17.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 04:36PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. This has been my first undertaking of rod building, and I have enjoyed it very much. I find it very relaxing from a mental standpoint, does that make me a mental case? could be.
Thank you, Jim Upton for the web address, I found a couple salmon designs there but I am unsure by the color scheme if it is the right one. I also saw that some of your weaves were there. I bow to your greatness master Upton oh great one. From my readings I see that you are the inventor of the Wonder Weaver, I have heard of your product but have not been able to find any close up pictures of it or descriptions of how you use it. As I mentioned above, it was my first attempt, I did okay but it took me longer than it should have because I kept getting confused on which thread I was pulling over or putting back and had to count from the top. Would your weaver help me with this?
Myles, thank you for Doc's e-mail address, all I had was a phone number from his dvd that is no longer current. You asked for my e-mail address, it will be to you shortly after I finish this.

And lastly,Doc, if you are reading any threads while you're not weaving them, I hope your pop is recovering quickly. No hurry in response to an e-mail I sent you, I will be spending time playing with my newly built toy and won't start building for my father for a little bit yet.

Thanks again everyone,
Jeff

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 04:56PM

Jeff; Your E-Mail address is hidden so I am unable to send you E-Mail. You can see the Wonder Weaver on the Renzetti web site (link to the left) go to the Rod lathe section. I think you will find it there. If you want more information send me E-Mail.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster