I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Something I discovered....
Posted by: Terry Henson (---.lmdaca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:03AM

This may be overly simplistic and long, but this was something I discovered.

I did a mayfly inlay in Ivory and because the ivory was cracked, I descided to coat the ivory for the final coat over the inlay, instead of buffing the inlay like I usually do. I was using LS Supreme and I could not get the epoxy to flow. Most builders think I am crazy when I say LS Supreme is kind of thick......Relax.....Don't hit the Defcon Button yet. I used Hobby Epoxy for years and it was water thin and that is what I was used to using.

I made two attempts to finish the inlay and it was not flowing. When I applied the flame to get it to flow and level, it scorched the epoxy and I ended up with black swirls in the epoxy. Most of the time I do not have this problem, but this time I did and it was being very difficult.

This worked out great.

I did my usual mixing in a small cup and then did the pour into a small tin holder for bubble release and non contamination. Usually I apply to the rod at this point and then heat to get it to flow and burst bubbles. But what I did was heat the bottom of the tin until it thinned out. Then applied it to the ivory and WOW! It flowed into a perfect smooth BUBBLE FREE finish like I never seen. Used this technique on the Stonefly inlay after that and first try the epoxy leveled perfectly and was perfect!

Can't believe I didn't think of this before. LS Supreme is good and now that I can apply it like this, I expect to now get it right the first time every time.

It did speed up the curing process I think?, or it seemed too anyway.

Maybe others out there have been doing this. For me, I have always applied the epoxy and flamed it to get it to flow. Now I am going to try this for a while.

Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Something I discovered....
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:29AM

Early last year I did the very same thing with a foil container full of Flex-Coat high build
At first, it was like magic! Nice clear and free flowing it was for about 3 or 4 minutes
and then it very quickly set and congealed into a thick mess! Fortunately, I was able to
flame the globules on the buttwrap and it leveled out and I was able complete the finish application by quickly mixing up more.
I surmised I applied way to much heat and decided to stick with what has always worked
for me. Fearing to try that again!
Experimentation is what pushes new things and thoughts forward but breaking habits
to try something new is not easy for most people. Nature of the beast I guess!

Thanks Terry!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 04:33AM

I put the parts of the finish in my shirt pocket for 30 - 40 minutes before mixing. this gets the temperature just about right for Flex-Coat, LS Supreme, and now ThreadMaster. As long as I remember to do this & keep the temperature in the workshop about 75 degrees I have no problems with finish. I do wish ThreadMaster was as thin as LS Supreme, however. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 04:53AM

Usually down here on the gulf coast we have no problems with heat, but I l like the thinner application as well. So over the table where I store my finish, Threadmaster, I put a little heat lamp on a goose neck and I just turn it on about twenty minutes before I need my finish. Works out well for me. Like Ralph I used to put it in my pocket but the wife started raising Cane about GLUE ON MY SHIRTS. I also use the heat lamp for other things. You guys have a good day.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 06:45AM

What heat source did you use to "burn" LS? I've used a Propane torch and had to leave the flame hittig the epoy for several seconds before anything happened, then it caught fire, lol. SAme results as with other epoxies for me. Maybe Propane has a lower temp flame?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 07:50AM

What I’ve started doing is to pull the epoxy into the syringes I am using. Place those syringes tip first into the flat container I will be mixing them in.

Then place it in the Microwave for 10 sec. Eject then mix.

I buy the larger bottles of epoxy. So i don’t put the whole container in the microwave, am paranoid that if I reheat them to many times it might start effecting the epoxy.

By leaving the to parts separated while heating. It does not seem to effect the cure time much. I mix it in a flat plastic container, and use a spatula to push it back and forth so I have very little bubbles. Because the mixture is warmed the ones I do get dissipate very quickly.

One thing to watch because the mixture is warned in the syringes it is very thin so when you push the plungers, it will spray out if you apply as much pressure as you normally would with thicker mix.

Posted by: Terry Henson (---.lmdaca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:16PM

I am seeing a theme here....Thinner and heat. This is good. Thanks for the information. I appreciate the input and love the ideas you all have shared. Terry

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:01AM

Also remember that while heat will certainly thin the epoxy (it'll be like water if you heat it enough) it will also make it set very quickly. Normally after mixing a batch of finish a short 5-7 seconds in the microwave will thin it enough for bubbles to free themselves. Much beyond 10 seconds and it will be water thin, but you won't have much working time.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster