I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Time for epoxy to harden?
Posted by: DIRK HESEMAN (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:10PM

Is it common to not use or handle a rod for 5 days or so after the finish has been applied so that the epoxy can achieve it's full hardness?

Had a debate about this with a fella and was just curious what is common practice.

Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time for epoxy to harden?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:14PM

Some epoxies harden sooner than others, but two days is very safe for handling and not long after that, it's about as hard as it can get. But they do vary by brand somewhat. The one that I use is pretty fast. I fish with it in 36 hours with no problems, but again, that's a pretty fast set.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:49AM

Ditto!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 08:14AM

Ditto again! I put Threadmaster on a fly rod early yesterday morning and I am going to do some practice casting with it today.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 10:22AM

Brands will vary in curing time, the ones that do not require a dead nuts 50:50 by volume mix may take longer to cure totaly. Concrete takes a full 7 years to achieve its final strength and only then does the curing end. Epoxy is the same to a much lesser degree. Brands that do require a 50:50 by volume mix; if your off a bit can taker two or three days (up to NEVER) to set up and not be sticky, total fishable cure time is also set back relative to tha accuracy of this proportional mixture. I achieve this 50:50 by volume mix by weight (adjusted by experimantation) for the perfect repeatable formula. My mix sets up in 8-10 hours and I don't handle it for 24 just to be sure and don't fish it for 48. Mixing by weight I can use a very small amount with depenability. ALTHOUGH MIXING BY VOLUME WITH SYRINGES, as recommended on this site, is by far the easiest way to achieve the cloest thing to a 50:50 by volume mix.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:34AM

Ellis,

With Threadmaster, I can put on one coat in the early AM, that late afternoon I can sand it-if needed-and put my 2nd coat on it in the SAME day. Best I've ever used.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster