I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

permagloss: possible solution to the hole-in-the-can problems
Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:43AM

I've never tried the hole-in-the-bottom-of-the-can method. Just never made sense to me. It's a little too simplistic I think (or not simplistic enough). So the can leaks each time you remove the screw and you have a puddle. I don't like that too much. When you remove the screw, how do you pour the stuff without it running all over? Sounds like a real mess.

I have another method you guys my want to try. Get yourself a big glass jar, preferable one with a plastic or polyethylene lid that makes a good seal everytime you screw it tight. Mine is a used feta cheese jar. The jar has to be big enough for you original PG bottle to fit inside. Keep your PG in its rightful bottle!! Stick it in the jar and go with your wife or girlfriend to DSW or a similar mega shoe outlet, to be found at any good mall. While she tries on shoes, walk around the store and pick all the loose dessicant packets off the floor. You can even go into the actually shoe boxes to get these--it won't hurt anything. These places are air conditioned, so the air in there is pretty dry. You should get yourself a bundle of these, the more the better. When you get home, throw a bunch in your PG jar and screw the lid tight. Done!

I've been using the same PG bottle for almost three years and a bunch of rods later, and my shop gets as humid as it does outside here in PA.

Hopefully this will solve your problems.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: permagloss: possible solution to the hole-in-the-can problems
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:56AM

No, the can does not leak each time you remove the screw eye. Only the first time, when you fill the can.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 02:26PM

Josh, that's actually a good idea.

IT's not messy at all once the seal is made. THE PG just drips out, when you're satisfied, put the screw back in and no more drips out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.160.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 08:09PM

Make life easy for your self. Put it in the fridge. Every time you need it, poor into a cup. Wipe the top of the bottle well ! Do not tighten " real " tight, back in the fridge.
Trust me it works

Posted by: rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:15PM

Can you put permagloss in a freezer? I have a bait freezer I would use instead of my kitchen freezer.
Rob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.160.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:30PM

I don't think that would be wise. It may be no good if it freezes ? Just the cold fridge. I have had it in mine for almost a year and it is still good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster