I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trouble with Permagloss Can - Won't Stop Leaking
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 04:10PM

For the first time, today I put permagloss in one of the little cans w/ the screen door eye screwed into the bottom. I did everything the way I have heard to do it but the can was still leaking hours later. That bums me in that my plan was to make my 4oz go a long way, and I still probably have enough left for a while, but is there a trick to stop the leaking? For the time being I've tilted the can back so the hole is "above the water line". BTW, it's drizzling here today so I can't imagine there is not enough humidity for it to cure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble with Permagloss Can - Won't Stop Leaking
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.bh.wv.cebridge.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 04:22PM

Try using the next size bigger screw eye.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 05:12PM

My can that I got at the show did the same thing. I probably only have enough to do a couple of rods.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 07:21PM

I THINK you put the screw eye in THE BOTTOM of the can and store it UPSIDE DOWN!?!?!?

I am not sure with permagloss, but this is what I do with my Spar and it works fine.

Derek

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 07:39PM

After reading all the crap on Permagloss, I'm afraid to even open my bottle ( I've never tried it and have a new BIG bottle I bought at the rod show and have yet to use/open because of posts like this) :( ....why cant a manufacture of a product that surely has a container problem be fixed....we just put up with it instead..... and they even sell cans to help with the situation for us to BUY and add to that bill/cost.....then we still loose most of the product we paid for........something to think about eh?

Mine just might stay in the plastic forever :)

DR

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 07:54PM

Marty and Brad
Sorry your having problems with the PG cans not sealing. Here is a suggestion that will work:

Probably got the hole a little large so- Get the next size larger what ever your using and wrap it with a piece of coffee filter - then tilt the can up so the fluid pressure is reduced and remove the old screw and insert the new larger wrapped one. Do not invert the can - if the hole is above the fluid level to much air can get into the can. Let it stay tilted up for a little while then tilt it back down and set it on a piece of paper towel in a platic lid and it will stop seeping after a seal is formed by the SLOWLY seeping PG. The towel and lid are to protect whatever it is setting on.
It is best to use a can that is the same size as the bottle of PG. I have used 1/2 pint cans filling them with a couple of 4oz bottles and had not problems with excess seeping. I have also put in only 4 oz of PG in a 1/2 pint can and they also seal in a short time.
I do have some 1/4 pint cans.

If your in the USA south there is enough humidity to cure PG. I live in SE Washington (Desert country) and it cures just fine here.

Hope this helps
Joe Kassuba
HIS Rod Shop

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2006 07:59PM

There is no container problem with PermaGloss. The nature of the beast is that it cures upon exposure to moisture. That's what it was designed to do and it does so perfectly. U-40 doesn't routinely sell cans. Mickel's Custom Rods provided those at the show.

What you have leaking out of your can/s is not as much as you think. You have enough PermaGloss left to probably last you for many, many rods.

The last can I prepared leaked for about 3 to 4 hours. The small puddle that formed seemed like a lot of PG, but in reality, it's not. I used that can, originally filled with 8 ounces of PG, for 4 years before I emptied it.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:09PM

I was kind of freaking out when I poured a 4oz bottle of PG into one of Sammys Cans and the stuff just kept coming out. I ended up tiltiing the can so that the screw got a good dose of PG on the threads, waited a bit, then turned the screw in a few turns. It finally sealed.

Note: I saw a well used "can" of Permagloss and due to its use, there was a build up of hardened finish extending from the base of the can below the screw from where the user would just leave it on a table. Picture a small "lava flow" of hardened Permagloss.

I refinished a blank just now, looks great, and the can sealed fine. The best part is that I shook the can a little, and I actually have liquid in there, not a solid.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 01:45AM

It sounds like your problems amount to too large a hole & too small a diameter screw eye. Make sure the hole is a smaller than the shaft between the threads. I did this several years ago when Tom(?) first posted this solution to Perma-Gloss storage problems. My can leaked, mmm... between 1/2 tsp. and 1 tsp. (teaspoon for you non-cooks). A 4oz. can + 4oz. Perma-Gloss. I have maybe a third of it left. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 08:47AM

My can had a leaking problem as well, but I know mine wasn't from teh hole being too large. I had a hard time shutting the top of the can, so I wacked it a couple of time, and really forced it down. AS soon as I applied a lot of pressure, teh PG started seeping out - not form teh hole, but from teh bottom of the seam, I think. Once is set up, no more roblem - I lost a lot more the last 2 times when it set up totally INSIDE the bottle, at least this time I'm able to use it.

Date: March 25, 2006 09:21AM

Good point. In the long run it's more cost effective to lose a few tablespoons out of the can than to lose a whole bottle after doing just one or two rods.

I have been using a new trick lately that prevents any leakage from the can whatsoever, but I need to take some photos to show how. I'll probably put it in a short article in a near future RodMaker. It's pretty darn easy to do but not so easy to explain in text.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 25, 2006 10:46AM

Hi all

If PG is transfered to a right size syringe, all air expelled and a small screw fitted to the nozzle; will this work? I dont have enough to experiment with right now but are there any disadvantages to this method

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 11:44AM

PermaGloss may eat the seal or be difficult to contain in a syringe.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 03:27PM

I use a small cup hook that has what appears to be a tiny washer on it. I also used a tiny piece of the hobby foam as a gasket and the leaking PG formed a seal. I have the same PG for about 15 mo. and it is still as fresh as could be. I also used this can more than once.

Date: March 25, 2006 04:50PM

Can I refill the same can, or top it off w/ four more onces, and proceed; or do I need a new can when I empty this one?

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 07:03PM

Tom,

Obviously there is a better container for permagloss (everyone seems to be changing containers), it only seems logical that the maker could/would upgrade to a container that would not allow air/moisture in....something maybe in a squeezeable version for instance?....maybe I'm just overthinking.....bad idea, they'd probably sell less too, ....nevermind.

DR

Date: March 25, 2006 07:29PM

Such containers are not available. The foil packets do not block air/moisture. They won't work. Most plastics aren't compatible with the solvent in PG.

Something probably could be specifically developed, but the resulting container would probably be cost prohibitive.

Few companies are as committed to the custom rod builder as Trondak U-40. If there was a better container available for PermaGloss - one that would work and not drive the price sky high, you can be sure they'd be offering it. No doubt about that.

Marty,

You'll not likely get the lid back off your can. Just get another can. If you go ahead and prepare one with 8 ounces of PG, you'll probably find that it will last you several years. That makes the stuff very inexpensive over the long haul.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.160.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 08:58PM

Put it in the fridge After every use, poor what you need into a cup, clean the top threads " well ". Don't put the top on really tight.

Trust me it works.

Date: March 27, 2006 09:33AM

"Marty,

You'll not likely get the lid back off your can..."

Now that sounds like a challenge!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 03:26PM

As long as you don't get any PG around the lip of the can, where the lid goes in, you'll have no trouble getting the lid off. I don't.

Bill in WV

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster