I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie needing finishing help
Posted by: john earls (---.br1.blu.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:47AM

I put the first coat of finish on my rod. Everyone told me to use wax paper to mix the epoxy on. Nobody told me not to use the waxy side and now I have little pieces of wax all in my finish. Can I lightly sand the finish to knock the humps off. I know I will see the pieces but I would like to at least make the final coat smooth. Its my first rod and its a cheap one so I am not expecting perfection in any way. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie needing finishing help
Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:54AM

Yes, use a sanding block
Who said to use wax paper? Never use that! Use tin foil or a glass plate

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:58AM

Waxpaper? That's actually the first time I've heard this being recommended to someone. I think it is AL foil that is recommended by most everyone on which to spread the batch after mixing in an appropriate container. I wouldn't use either side of wax paper for future applications.

Rather than sanding, I think I would use an extra sharp razor (one half of a single edge or a hair thinning blade) to slice the bumps similiar to slicing the nubs from a thread tag end.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.38.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 02:53PM

If you don't have any rod building books or vidio's get some. Tom's book is good. Clemens is to expensive. Toms mag is good, get a subscription to it.
Wax paper ?? The plastic cups that all sponcers sell are good to mix in.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 04:07PM

John:
DO NOT USE WAX PAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use foil if you use any thing like that.
Personally I go to the plumbing dept in lowes. They sell little cheap test caps for putting water test on drainage systems. I use them several times. never clean the epoxy out. Just let it dry on the bottom. Then mix the next batch on top. When cap is compltely filled I start using another cap. I prefer the 3" size lets the epoxy spread out thin and increases my working time.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 05:05PM

I do the same thing as Steve (repeated layers on top of one another) but use an aluminum pie tin. Lasts about a year depending on use. Randy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster