I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

It's already starting!!
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:25AM

HUGE story in this mornings High Point Enterprise Newspaper about the 2007 rod building show! I tried to access it online to share the webaddress so everybody could read it, but you have to a paper subscriber to access that part of it.

Anyway, Donart and Pac Bay were pretty prominant in the picture used and it painted the craft of custom rod building in a very good light. I think a lot of local fishermen will see custom rod builidng in a different way after reading this story.

When you start this kind of quality promotion this far ahead you know it's going to be another great event. Only problem is having to wait a full year!

Tom. is there any way we could reprint the story and photos on this site?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It's already starting!!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:37AM

It was filled with the usual newspaper "mis-quotes" but overall I'm not going to complain. It was good PR and the city is making a big deal about "landing" this event. I have to question their figure for the economic impact it will have - they claim it will bring in $685,000 to the local economy. I have no idea how they figure that, but somebody there gets paid to figure those sorts of things. I'll have to defer to their knowledge on those type matters.

I can't reprint it without permission. I'll ask the reporter if he can get that for me. I can't promise anything.

I will say that it was one of the first times I've seen something on custom rod building in the newspapers that didn't make us sound like a bunch of dubs, building "poles" in our basements. The writer did an excellent job of representing custom rods and builders. And, because I helped him with information on this one, he has agreed to get us a couple more articles next January as we get close to show time. This will help greatly with our efforts to market to the regional market.

Most of you who attended any of the past events in Charlotte are in for a big surprise next February. The 2007 event isn't going to be a little bigger or better - it will be something on an entirely different level.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:44AM

$685,000 to teh local economy. Figure there will be AT LEAST 500 hotel rooms sold at $200 each. 100,000. Feeding 2,000 people 2 meals per day for 2-3 days. Figure each person spends $15 on average per meal, figure that is 7000 meals at $15 = another $100,000. Add to that all the union contracts to set up, maintenance at the actual show site, it's probably like $80 per hour for a couple hundred people for the entire weekend? Gas stations, car service, airports.

That figure of $685K split up over 2,000 attendees is only $350 per person, they probably have a fixed number a person spends and jus tmultiplied that by teh overestimated numbers to come up with a big number ot get everyone excited, lol.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2006 09:01AM

Other than the union stuff (they aren't involved in this event in any way) you're probably not far off. It was a big enough deal for them that the City gave me $5,000 to make sure I'd do this event here. That money will offset the cost of renting the outstanding ShowPlace facility so I can reduce the booth and admission fees for everyone. (It has been suggested that I just put it in my pocket, but I have no intention of doing that.) It allows me to compensate the seminar presenters for part of their travel expenses. In short, we are going to be able to improve the quality of the event all around.

Last year I was able to squeeze about $8,000 out of RodMaker for advertising and promotion. This year I'll have 3 times that amount to work with. This will allow us to buy color print advertising in major sportsfishing magazines as well rent billboards on the major interstate highways north and south of here. As I said, the 2007 event will be a much bigger deal than the 2006 event was.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 09:08AM

I can't wait.......

Steve Buchanan

Steve's Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster