I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dan Craft FT ERNs ?
Posted by: Tony Mortimer (68.63.92.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:38PM

I'm somewhat confused. I have verified many of the ERN ratings in CCS data site with rods I own or have fished with and am looking for a couple blanks in the 4 wgt and 1-2 wgt range for next builds. Would like to try Dan Craft FT models, but note that almost all have ERNs greatly exceeding the manufacturer rated weights -- not just by a little, but by a lot. E.g.: FT 902-4 (2 wgt) tested as ERN of 7.03 by Steve Kartalia and 7.29 by Stan Grace and FT 863-4 (3 wgt) tested ERN of 7.28 by John Launstein and 7.15 by Steve Kartalia.

One of the reasons I want a light weight rod is for delicate landing on water by lighter weight lines when fishing dry flies in calmer water. If I have to use a 7 weight line for normal ~30 foot line out casting, it would defeat that purpose.

Am I somehow mis-understanding the relation between ERN and appropriate line weights for the FT series ?? Can these ultra-fast rods still cast well with lighter line weights in spite of high ERN tested ratings ???

Thanks
Tony Mortimer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Craft FT ERNs ?
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:26PM

Tony
In my experience they can and will cast well with lighter lines but they have enough power to use heavier lines as well. The FT's are robust and versatile blanks in all weights and you may want to look at the FTL blanks for delicate presentations. The FTL's are less powerful and lighter weight blanks that are a bit slower in action but should work well for you.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2006 10:08PM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:30PM

A rod with an ERN of say, 7.0, can cast a 4-weight line just as one with an ERN of 4.0 can cast a 7-weight line. Remember, there is a relationship between line weight and length of line aerialized. An ERN of say, 6.0, does not indicate that you can only use a 6-weight line with it.

Beyond that, you want to look at the DBI which includes not only the ERN, but the AA. Rods with very high AA readings have lighter powered tips which means they can cast a wider range of weights than those with lower AA readings. In the case of the FT blanks, the high AA readings indicate lighter tips that allow you cast a lighter line off the tip.

Posted by: charles segal (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:37PM

I can only give a subjective opinion, having built an FT905. The rod casts like a cannon with a variety of lines, and it's very fast in action. I wouldn't recommend it for in close fishing with small flies and stated line weight- to my mind it lacks "feel". Dan makes many other blanks more suitable to your purposes.. Charles

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: March 23, 2006 02:31AM

I've got Sig V 905-3 and FT 906-4. Both of them have great feel but they are totally different.
FT is very stiff, except for the very light tip. It can handle small lenghts of #5 line with great finesse. It may not be the best roll casting rod but for spey and overhead work it is great.
With short line it requires very crisp and short casting motion. If that's something you don't want to do then I'd suggest getting another blank. FTL maybe?

Cheers,
Sakari

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (68.63.92.---)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:26PM

Many thanks for the replies. I understand now that the FTs are very powerful and ultra-fast action with tip action/sensitivity. I think I'll focus in on FTLs (FTL 803-5 looks like meets my needs and is 5 piece for travel).

However, I'm still not clear on ERN -- I was laboring under the concept/understanding that ERN represented the TRUE power of a rod to carry 30 feet of line during normal casting -- and that one should likely start with a line rated equivalent to the ERN -- and adjust from there. As I read Hanneman's articles, that is the concept I came away with. And, it seems verified with the 10 other rods that I own. Thus, I was and still am, somewhat baffled why the FT rods have ERNs at least double or more than the Dan Craft advertised rod line weight classification. But, I guess I'll ignore this data as an anomaly and go with other blanks in the meantime.

Tony

Posted by: [email protected] (---.itexas.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 11:12PM

Tony,
The ERN does not tell the whole story. Comming soon, in RodMaker is my latest article on characterizing the "new" fast action rods.

With these rods one must consider the ERN as "sort of an average value." The other important considerations are the TP (Tip Power) and the PR (Power Reservoir) which characterize how the tip and butt sections differ relatively. I think this article will clear up things a bit more.
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster