I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thank you Raymond Adams
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:24AM

I hate using CP as it always seemed to look "globish" on my wraps. I use to apply it with a brush as I rolled the blank. The problem seemed mating up with the CP initially applied that had started to dry already making a real gooey mess. And the continued brushing to try and smooth it out only seemd to make it worse.

Then I saw Raymond Adams' recent response to just "glob a bunch on at first and then wick off the excess", I thought this can't work - wrong! I was testing some various colored wraps and saturated one with CP per Raymond's method, fully encapsulating the wrap - (but I wasn't able to wick anything off). I thought there was enough CP on that short wrap to do the whole dang rod - but it dried perfectly smooth! After applying the finish later, that CP saturated wrap came out as one of the best looking wraps I've ever done - duh! I'm redoing one of my first ever projects and will revisit using CP. Thank you Raymond Adams!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank you Raymond Adams
Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 10:54AM

Your welcome Tim,
However, If remember correctly I believe I was refering to applying epoxy finish. The same method works with C.P. if the cp is not too thick.
Be carefull if you use the 811 cp and it is thick as it will set very quickly and the thick stuff does not "wick" very well and you could wind up
with a lumpy mess! You won't have that problem with the Flex-Coat CP.

Thanks again for the public recognition!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 12:25PM

My CP is in fact Flex Coat. And I forgot to mention that I put it on with my newly discovered method of using a spatula. I'm confident that a brush was the culprit in bubble formation when applying both CP and finish.

I'm starting to think if I go back to using CP this way, I can trim the "nubbins" off my wraps after it dries before appying my finish and get some really smoooooth wraps. That way I can get away with a single coat of finish on the smaller guides of the tip sections - which I prefer to do. Seems like I learn something new everyday. Thanks again Raymond.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2006 02:04PM

When applying CP, you need to thoroughly saturate the wraps - you need to get them wet. And, brushes are fine as applicators, but you don't want to brush your CP or epoxy around. Load the brush, lower it to the wrap, rotate the rod 360 degrees, reload the brush, move over and do it again.

I don't know how long you've been watching this board or if you receive RodMaker, but these simple tips that make a world a difference and we've been pushing them for many years now.

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.sip.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:42PM

As far as nubbins go, trim them off after the first thin coat of epoxy. The second coat will hide them completely and you'll never know they were there.
The epoxy offers a little more protection to the thread than cp does, so you are less likely to slice into the thread through the epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster