I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12' Jig Rod
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:00PM

Sounds crazy, but I've got someone looking for about a 12' JIGGING rod med power for vertical jigging for walleye ! Crazy part is he wants a fast action!! Is there such a thing?? Have been unable to locate one. Steelhead/salmon rods seem to be pretty moderate, whippy!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12' Jig Rod
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:29PM

Sounds like a "snagger" not a "jigger"

PASS!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.71.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:31PM

match up a medium blank lure weight and do a 10 ft fly rod of equil weight. SCIV or SCV. Should be fast enough.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 21, 2006 09:11PM

BATSON RainShadow Graphite Rod Blanks
Available at: [www.fishsticks4u.com]

IST-Series: Salmon / SteelHead - RX7 Graphite, Moderate-Fast

SH-Series: Salmon / SteelHead - RX6 Graphite, Moderate-Fast

HS-Series: Hot Shot / SteelHead - RX7 Graphite, Xtra-Fast

F-Spey Series: Spey Rods (4-pc) - RX7+6 Graphite, Moderate-Fast

RainShadow Graphite Material
RX7 = 43 million Modulus
RX6 = 33 million Modulus

Batson Taper-Action Ratings
Xtra-Fast: Upper 20% flexes
FAST: Upper 30% flexes
Mod-Fast: Upper 35% flexes
Moderate: Middle flex point
Slow: Flex progressive from tip to butt

What Batson calls a "Moderate-Fast" action may pass for "Fast" in some other brand, or in the estimation of many anglers. ...

The IST / SH / HS / F-Spey Series have a variety of lengths and lure-line ratings that may include something workable for this customer.

But a 12-footer, in a light power and fast action, is really uncommon. As you yourself have suggested, in frustration.

How sure is the customer (or you !) that that is what he REALLY needs for the fishing he plans on doing? ... From where did he get this expectation? ....

No offense to the guy, but why would a walleye fisherman need a 12 foot rod? I mean, it sounds like he wants a glorified cane pole, and does not need the extra length for casting distance, but for fishing in 10-15 feet of water on a tight line. ... Or is he fishing from shore, or what...?

Well, Good Luck, Mike,
'cause this one sounds like a 'winner', ...
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2006 09:20PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: March 21, 2006 09:40PM

Cliff,
he is a very good tournament walleye angler. Here in the Detroit River in early spring, the walleye can be found in as little as 6' and he wants to be able to vertical gig some distance from the boat. The river is a unique walleye fishery with a fast current and verrtical jigging is a very productive technique. A fast action is needed to detect very light bites (more like inhaling) and to avoid snagging as walleye are on the bottom. Some of the blank series that you listed don't come in any near the needed lengths. I am familiar with catalog listings and meanings of various actions, What I need is personal experience with particular blanks.

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 10:37PM

Mike,
I also tournament fish walleye in the Dakota's, Minnesota, Wisocnsin,etc. I have fished alot of tournaments on the Detroit River and am very familiar with what he is trying to do. Myself, the longest rod I have ever used, or be able to find for that matter, that is fast enough to adequately transfer a walleye bite on 1/8 to 1/4 oz jigs while vertical jigging is a ten foot one piece. Not the funnest rod to try to store in my boat either!!!...He's trying to break some new ground here.
Since a walleye basically breathes in the jig and often woofs it back out...I can see alot of bites by line reaction but never feel them on that long rod. Good luck.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 10:51PM

Mike
Please accept my apologies for my earlier impulsive post.

Sorry!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: March 21, 2006 10:55PM

Mike - Thanks for explaining this type of walleye fishing.
Good luck finding what you are looking for. -Cliff Hall+++

Date: March 21, 2006 11:55PM

Raymond,
None needed!
Jeff as you know, in the spring, the Trenton channel can end up looking like a parking lot full of boats. Considering that you HAVE to use a trolling motor to stay vertical, he thinks that he may be able to pick up the ones that move out to the fringes. Just an experiment so he doesn't want to spend a bundle.
What circuits do you fish? Are coming here for the FLW or MWC next month?? By the way, how the H.... do you stay vertical on the river (7 mph current) with a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig?? Most use 5/8 and I have only seen a few go lower than 1/2 and they quickly went back up in size.

Mike

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.brambles.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 01:47AM

AF825 SALMON LITE 3.55m (11’8”) 2 PCE 3-6KG might work, does any of the sponsers carry Pacific Composites blanks from Australia

Date: March 22, 2006 08:03AM

Good Morning, Mike – Nothing like a little sleep to freshen the brain gears, eh?

Sometimes, buddy, the answer can be so obvious that it is just staring you in the face, but you can’t see it until you slow down or calm down or just plain drop-it until later.

Well, I think this is one of those times. So, let me “extend” to you my nocturnal revelations. … The light is coming on now, isn’t it?

BUTT-END EXTENSION of a shorter rod, with the kind of Power and Action that he would already like, is most likely the most practical answer to this conundrum.

RainShadow HS-Series: Hot Shot / SteelHead - RX7 Graphite Rods, Xtra-Fast
Available at: [www.fishsticks4u.com]

RS-RX6 HOT-SHOT: HS-102-3-F
Matte Clear … 8'6" … 2-piece (-F = Ferruled, not “fast” here)
12-25lb. … 1/2-4oz. … 0.595” … 5.0 / 64ths
Xtr-Fast … Med-Hvy … 3.40 oz. … $80.00 – Add

Among ALL the Batson Salmon / SteelHead Rods in the current Catalog, only the Hot Shot Series offers an XTRA-FAST Action. Of these, the LONGEST Rod Blanks are the 102” (8’6”) Models. Of these, the –3–POWER– has the 2nd LOWEST Lower-end Lure Rating (1/2 oz), indicating sensitivity; and a HIGH Upper-end Lure Rating (4oz), indicating enough backbone power to control a fish in tight quarters.

Mike, it possible that the lighter –1–POWER– Hot Shot Model (HS-102-1-F)

RS-RX6 HOT-SHOT: HS-102-1-F
Matte Clear … 8'6" … 2-piece (-F = Ferruled, not “fast” here)
10-20lb. … 3/8-3oz. … 0.595” … 4.5 / 64ths
Xtr-Fast … Med-Lite … 2.92 oz. … $75.00 – Add

will have a softer tip, which he may prefer. A lot of this rod’s backbone will also come from and depend on how you configure the rod handle, and on the EXTENSION length and material you select. (All of these Hot Shot Rods also come in an Olive Green.)

If his Walleye Tournament Rules allow a tandem type rig, he can use a larger / heavier jig as a mini down-rigger ball, and run a smaller wisp of a jig behind it. Or just tie his own cork-head or sponge-head floating type fly-jigs, so that it will prevent bottom fouling.

Or he may be able to use a dipsey sinker to hold it down, and fly a teeny jig off a 3-way type rig and keep the jig off the bottom, and trailing off the main line.

The proper length of the leader behind the mini down-rigger ball, or off the main line will depend a lot on his swift current and the hydrodynamics of his jig, and how tight his fish lay to hard structure or wood.

People fishing down here in the tail-race of Rodman Dam (Rodman Reservoir) routinely use this streamer approach to nail stripers, just like surfcasters do around NY.

I used to swing mullet on the St. John’s River, fishing worms. If ever there was a timid biter, it is the mullet, since it is a vegetarian, and has a tiny mouth. I fished a fluorescent in-line sliding cork to maintain proper depth of my hook. That was my visual signal, because with 14 feet of cane-pole hanging forward of my hands, the rod tip is going to shake as much as a nibble, just because of the wind, and the current, and your arm moving, and your blood pressure going. Slowly but continuously moving the hook is sometimes the only way to sense a nibble in swift-water vertical jigging. IMO.

Is that a little better advice this time around from a duffer like me? –Cliff Hall+++

BTW – Any time one of my Replies has it’s usual dose of “Information Over-Load”, it is so that we all have a common reference or definition for our terms, and so that all the other dozens of RBO Readers know exactly what we are talking about. Especially if we are trying to split hairs, as I often do. … And considering that I am the guy who Posted a "Table of Effects of TRIMMING or EXTENDING a ROD BLANK" [www.rodbuilding.org] , it’s a wonder I didn’t think of butt-end extension last night myself. … Maybe you did, Mike, and didn’t like the idea much yourself.) -CMH+++

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.69.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:52AM

Cliff
The guy wants 12' rod ? If he wants a good price then -if ya can not find spinning or casting blanks -- why not a fly. heavy like some thing for heavy bass or steelhead ? 2 PC.
Price the batson stuff, unless ya can find some thing on Specials or a sale ?? About RX-7 graphite for some durebility.
Shop around and make a list of what you find and where.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.elnk.wvfibernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 10:56AM

interesting thread..I also have had a request for a 10 footer...

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 12:23PM

Light surf blank?

Jay

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 12:33PM

This is probably a BAD idea, but would it be possible to take a 7' blank which you currently use for this application, and extend it 5', making a 2'piece 12' rod? If you use a stiffer blank for teh 5' extension, you more than likely would be able to keep teh XXXF action that the 7' blank will now have.

IT's something to think about, which is defiantely outside teh box.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.r09.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 03:47PM

Mike -- The Lamiglas Certified Pro Series of Salmon and Steelhead blanks are more of fast action blank. The model XSH 144 3M should do what you are wanting. 12' in length -- 3 pc. -- 6 to 12 lb. line.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Roger Wilson (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 09:00AM

Actually, there is a perfect rod out there for this exact application.
It is the imported Bass Pro - Tightline Crappie rod that sells for $30.
It comes in 12,14 and 16 foot lengths.
It is designed to carry a heavy weight - when working crappies, so it has a very fast tip - but it has plenty of beef in the butt section to carry the weight.

My suggestion to you would be to simply have the angler pick up this rod and give it a try. It is a bait casting rod, which could present a problem, but perhaps not.

If you find that he likes it - you could always pick one up - strip the guides and handle and rework the rod to the client's specifications.

I believe that it was Wally Marshall who worked with Bass Pro and their buyers to go to their off shore rod builders to have this blank rolled to his specifications.
It is a suprisingly good rod for this purpose and has the exact action that your client is looking for.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster