I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light casting blank
Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:02PM

Hola,

I want to build a light casting rod, but I'm out of my fly fishing league. I have a beautiful Shimano Calcutta reel rated for 5-8 lb. line, and I want to match it to a 6'6" blank witht the same characteristics. So far I've been impressed with Graphite USA's C661DHX 6'6" fast action rated for 4 - 10 line and 1/16 - 5/16 weight lures. Have I picked a winner, or do you have another recommendation? How are the Lamiglas Perigee casting blanks?

Thanks for your input,

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light casting blank
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:43PM

If it were me, I'd look at the St. Croix SCVs and SCIIIs. I've not used the GUSAs or Lamis mentioned; I'm just really fond of the St. Croixs. For that light weight rating, I'd look at both casting and spinning blanks. One blank listed as a casting blank that I would consider is the 3C69MLXF. It's phenomenal for small finesse worms, drop shotting, and other bottom-bouncing applications. If you're looking at using this rod for cranking or small SBs, I'd think about the 3C66MM. I think it would be perfect for that reel. For an all-around "utility" rod, I'd consider a 3S66MLF built into a casting rod.

Not too long ago, someone built a very light baitcasting rod like you're describing, and he put the photo on the photo page. It looked really cool. Unfortunately, I don't remember his name. But, you might wander back through the archives and see if you find it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 02:25PM

The Perigee casting blanks are long gone unless your lucky. They used the best graphite for the job on those blanks so it was up to the application intended on what graphite you received.
I've built and use many GUSA DHX blanks and they are very tough, straight, and usually just a bit heavier in weight than a comparable high end blank for the same line weight rating. It's the dual helix construction that gives them this trait.
The CTS blanks that Lamar Fishing has is of a single helix construction that is lighter. I just received a 7 ft blank from Andy that just might fit your application, he had a 6 1/2 model there also. I'd say it was good from 1/8 - 3/16 oz to 1/2 oz. Just received the 7 ft model and it is superb.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.propel.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 05:05PM

It takes a better man than me to throw 1/8 and especially 1/16 oz lures with casting gear, so I agree with the post above to consider spinning also. I also agree about the St. Croix SCIII and SCV blanks (I'd skip the SCIVs). I'll add that for a light casting rod you can get a nominal St. Croix "spinning" blank and build it as a casting rod, I've done it and been happy with the result.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 06:10PM

The 6 ft 6 in CTS would be very close to the Shikari SHX PSJ662, I'd think in all ways.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (66.0.239.---)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:37PM

Rainshadow ISB780. I think this series (and the IC) are the best value you can get these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster