I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions About Fly Rod Blanks
Posted by: James Jindal (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 11:27AM

I am looking to build saltwater fly rods in the 8-10 wt range. I wanted to hear everyones input as to which fly rod blank they feel is the most durable. I also wanted to know if a 2 peice blank is less likely to break then a multiple peice blank. thanks for your time. James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions About Fly Rod Blanks
Posted by: Gil Mc Millan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:05PM

James
You might give a hint as to the intended use of the rods that you are making. Why is breakage your primary concern?
Gil

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:11PM

If you intend to really beat and bang your rods around, you will most likely not want to invest in the very highest performing blanks. They get much of their performance from materials and construction that do not lend themselves to much in the way of abuse. They're plenty tough on fish, but not on being thrown around or tossed about.

Multi-piece rods, when or if they fail, rarely break at the ferrules. Your concern here is mostly a non-issue.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:37PM

I agree with Tom: before I got into building fly rods, I did some reasonably extensive research, and I found that the number of pieces had no influence on breakage. Quality does make a difference, and quality varies from blank to blank and manufacturer to manufacturer, but I found that Company Q's XX model will have the same break resistance whether the blank is 2, 3, or 4 piece.

I build only rods for myself. Your post doesn't say whether you're building saltwater fly rods for yourself or for others, but I just got turned onto a sponsor of the board: Black Dog Tackle. One of the things that originally kept me from getting involved in saltwater fly fishing was cost; I was philosophically opposed to having to shell out $400 or $500 to get started. So I was thrilled when I found Black Dog, and discovered that I could get blank, reel seat, and cork grip for well under $100. I haven't finished building my first Black Dog fly rod yet, but I'm looking forward to it, and hoping that I end up building many more.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 03:05PM

The Salt Stalker blanks at Angler's Workshop are a very nice and durable blank. I notice that they are also selling some of the ones in your size range for it looks like 1/3 off right now. As Tom said I'm not so sure multi piece rods are any less tough than any other. Drinking a few with some guides, they thought there was a difference, till I asked them what they saw most? Then they admitted in that light, it was more a wash, as they saw more people using 4 piece or more rods now.

Posted by: James Jindal (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 05:41PM

When i was 14 I owned an 8 and a 10 wt rods. I don't recall the type of blanks but they were relatively inexpensive. I didn't have an understanding as to how fragile fly rods can be if proper care was not taken and both snapped at the ferrule while casting. I got extensive use out of both of them and i must admit I was quite careless for their well being (spiking it on the jetti,boat deck, or ground after landing or losing a nice striper). This was roughly ten years ago and i am getting back to saltwater fly fihsing. I have many years of rood building experience but i never got into building my own fly rods. I would like to build myself a nice fly rod and I would like to know what companies were well known for making durable blanks at a high graphite modulus. The use for the rods are strictly for striped bass and i would like to build an 8 and a 10 wt. I was looking at G-loomis' GL3 blanks. What do u think?

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.91.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:16PM

The higher the Modulus , the more fragile the blank will be is a good rule of thumb measure of "durability" when choosing. Take a look at some of Dan Crafts blanks , and check the CCS site to look up the #s for the "action" you desire .There are TONS of different blanks in differen configurations and sections to choose from . GL3s are nice blanks , I've buile quite a few that I got form Hook and Hackle , though I did break one "testing" it before delivery . Defective.. Have fun ,
John
No. E. Rod Builders

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster