I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static Guide Placement
Posted by: Gil Mc Millan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 10:29AM

When performing the static guide placement test for a casting rod that will be built with the "simlle spiral (Bumper) wrap" are the guides placed on top of the rod or in the simple spiral position for the static testing?
Thanks, Gil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static Guide Placement
Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: March 21, 2006 11:35AM

Static test it just as you would a guides on top casting rod then flip all but the butt guide to the bottom.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 21, 2006 03:44PM

Yes, as Grant Darby just said, this is The Simple Spiral method, The "Bumper Wrap", as described by Colby & Kirkman. That is, space the guides as you normally would with the guides on top. Flip all except the butt guide. Then insert, at a 90-degree offset, a low-frame, small-ring bumper guide halfway between the butt guide and the next guide. -Done!

If you have read some of the other Posts in which Tom Kirkman has addressed this very question, TK has referred to this methodology as a convenient means to communicate the technique, using a commonly agreed upon method. (Space normally, then flip.)

You MAY find it beneficial on lighter rods to examine the guide layout a 2nd time to see if it is possible to eliminate one of the forward running guides. It may be worth saving the weight of one guide here on a lighter rod. That is up to you. ...

I just wanted to interject the fact that now that the line guides are UNDER the rod, there is no concern about using the guides to act as the supports of a suspension bridge that has to hold the line "ABOVE" the rod blank. ... Now that the forward guides all are UNDER the rod, like a SPINNING ROD, then you just want to have a very good STATIC LOAD DISTRIBUTION. That design situation is just as well suited to more of an "equal angles" or "equal intervals" spacing method, IMO.

Again, a 2nd look at the static loading may not be necessary. But for some rods and some rod-builders, it may be worthwhile as another level of fine-tuning your Bumper Spiral rod.

If this is a heavy-duty rod, where actual drag settings may exceed ~ 8#, then I would strongly recommend a 2nd Static Test after the "flip".

In one instance, one of our own RBO Fellows had a problem with the guide geometry on deep bending. In one guide, (I think it was the guide after the Bumper), on deep bending, the line was no longer touching the guide ring. It was no longer carrying any of the line-load. ... You guessed it, ... When he used scales to set his drag at ~ 15# for his fishing trip ... KaBAM ... the rod snapped somewhere in the middle, because the effective distance between the guides was now ~ 24" instead of ~ 12", and the rod caved in.

Just pay attention, whenever mixing guide layout methodologies, to what are the limits and the assumptions and the applications of the original methods.

-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Re: Spiral Wrap Breakage ... Billy Vivona ... Oct. 17, 2005 09:31AM
[www.rodbuilding.org] "Tom - I know I typed a lot and it's all over the place, I just want everyone to be clear - I never said the rod which broke had the Bumper system, I said when I tested the Bumper system on a similar blank, the same thing happened. " ETC, etc, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2006 04:03PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.91.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 09:03PM

Cliff , what's your oppinion on the guide frames after the "flip" ? I would think that a lighter (frame gauge) , or different framed guide could also be use ? On lighter rods , where I would use double foot guides ( when use on top ) , it may be possible to go with single foot after the transition due to lack of the suspention issue with the line? I refering to use on lighter rods . Any thoughts ?
John Dow

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 09:47PM

John,

I use all SF guides on my casting rods, with the exception of pike/musky rods where I sometimes use a double foot for the butt guide and small single foots for the rest. Towards the tip, I usually use BLAG type #8 fly guides.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 21, 2006 10:38PM

Yeah, John, after the Bumper "flip", lighter framed guides are often superior and the way to go, if guide ruggedness is not a huge problem.

Single-foot guides in the upper 1/3 of the rod blank for almost any rod is worthy of first-choice consideration.

Some guys are even building TUNA rods with single-foot guides. So, if the right arrangement of SF-guides can be found for tuna rods, ...

then double-foot running (casting) guides can be replaced with single-foot running guides for most (lighter) spiral (bumper) rods.

And as Mike Barkley pointed out, using ceramic-ring FLY guides for the SF-running guides has become a good and popular way to save even more weight when needed.

-Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.3.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 06:23PM

I have been using them , I even tried a SF for the bumper guide it's self , but with out epoxy ( with a good load on it ) it would move a bit . Just seeing if anyone else was doing this . thanks John

Got Fish ?

Date: March 22, 2006 11:26PM

I am definitely NOT using nor recommending a single-foot guide for the bumper guide itself. Only double-foot guides for the bumper, to better prevent the guide from rocking / rolling under a heavy load. I know that no lateral torque is supposed to exist or be placed around the bumper ring, but I'll stick with the double-foot guide just in case. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 12:51PM

A quick question on casting distance: Doesn't the bumper guide affect the casting distance noticeably?

Thanks,
Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster