I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which First - Gimbal or Slick Butt? Or Together?
Posted by: Fred Staley (---.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 04:16PM

Reason I'm asking is I epoxied the gimbal to a live bait rod I'm starting (using dry wall tape for bushing). After the epoxy had dried and I was fitting the slick butt, I realized the gimbal wasn't perfectly straight on blank axis. So I had a small gap between gimbal and slick butt on one side ;-((.

I've done a few rods before with a gimbal and never had this problem. What I did this time (and normally do) is stand rod on it's end in the gimbal and let epoxy dry. Evidently this time, I was concentrating so hard on lining up the gimbal "notches" with the spine, I must not have noticed blank was leaning slightly in one direction.

I decided to cut the gimbal off and start again (only lost an 1" of blank but trashed the gimbal unfortunately). After I had cut it off, wondered if I could have used heat and saved the (aluminum) gimbal??

Anyway, before I try again, I would sure like to know what others do. I have a feeling my "self taught" method is not the best one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which First - Gimbal or Slick Butt? Or Together?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 05:39PM

Now that you have "trashed" the rod go ahead and try as much heat as you need to try different ways of getting it off. Start with hot (boiling) water and then move on up to flame (alcohol burner) then to a propane torch. When you're done let EVERYone learn from your "bad" experience. BTW that's why I put the slick butt on first or at the same time as the gimbal and then let them cure as one unit (which I assume you've learned).

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2006 07:06PM

Or... buy another gimbal and spiral cut this one off.

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 09:26AM

I always put my gimbal on after the rod is finished. I can chuck up the rod without having to worry about scaring the gimble. I have used heat from torch many times to remove gimbles. I started out with some old rods that people gave my and learned how much heat to use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster