I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rikon - Another look
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2006 09:12AM

A few weeks back under a topic related to midi-lathes, someone asked about or suggested the new Rikon lathe. Because I've not been impressed with their other recently introduced power tools, I offered the opinion that their lathe probably wasn't a very good buy, either. I was wrong to offer that opinion. I had a chance to actually see one yesterday and it's much, much better than I would have ever thought.

In all fairness, the new Rikon lathe is probably a step or two above the Delta/Jet/Frisch midi-lathes. It has an inch more swing, a bed that is 3 inches longer, a 12-step indexing head, a 1/2HP motor, and an 8 inch tool rest. The first thing most do when they buy one of the others is replace the 4-inch tool rest with a 6 or 8-inch model, and buy a bed extension. The Rikon offers a really nice 8-inch rest right off the bat and the extra 3 inches on the bed is generally enough for most rod building chores that you can dispense with buying the extension. That's $100 or so you don't have to spend getting the Rikon lathe ready for rod building work.

For a price of just $250, and considering the extra features of this lathe, it's probably the top of the heap in midi-lathe types at the moment. Now that I've seen one I'll gladly eat my previoius words. It's a good tool for the money, very good. Runs smooth and offers a host of features the others don't. Really a great buy in my opinion.

By the way, we may have a lathe vendor at the 2007 rod building show. I'll update you on that as we push closer to the event later this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2006 09:25AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rikon - Another look
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:36PM

Hi Tom,

I had checked the info on that lathe when the descussion came up and could not find any specs on it. DO you know what the head and tail taper is and what size and thread the head spindle is?

Thanks

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:42PM

Hank,
Headstock and tailstock are both #2MT. The head spindle is 1", 8tpi.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:48PM

Thanks Gerry

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Andy Barela (---.cendant.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 01:03PM

I bought a Rikon midi Lathe in January and love it. For the features that are on this lathe and the price you pay it is great.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 04:50PM

Hey, Tom, I think it would be great to get a lathe vendor at the show. If they came with a good assortment of chucks and other accessories, I would bet that they wouldn't be bringing them back home when they left.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 06:21PM

Any one who has a "real" chuck that will fit the PacBay upgraded support stand and 1/2" threads (or adapter) will have my money --- BEFORE the show even opens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.220.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 10:19PM

I almost bought there " upgraded " stand and chuck just for the chuck ??? Guess ya never know.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.153.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 11:13PM

I've heard a lot of complaints on the "upgraded chucks" , but I haven't heard the description og the problem . Can someone E-mail me and tell me what is wrong with them . I was thinking about getting one 'till I started hearing the complaints .
Thanks , John........ jdow4071@sbcglobal.net

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.rtmc.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 07:48AM

Ken...I have not had the chance to examine the "upgraded chucks"...Do you think the assembly itself could support the weight of a Taig self-centering chuck ? [www.taigtools.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2006 10:57AM by Doug Cox.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:27PM

John,

The chuck is threaded for a "real" lathe, but a rod lathe turns in the opposite direction than a "real" lathe (amazing display of research/engineering), so as you are using it, it will probably be unscrewing itself if you are doing anything remotely heavy duty such as sanding! Maybe they will come up with an upgrade to the upgrade. By then you might as well have bought a Renzetti

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster