I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread
Posted by: ronald flynn (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 08:23PM

evenin does anyone know of any place that carries neon or fluorescent thread that i can use for the tip of a catfish rod i'm building? or if anyone has any ideas for making the tip a little easier to spot at night

thanks much r flynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 08:48PM

I don't know the answer but you asked a good question........I sure want to see what the others say so I can do it as well.......Thanks

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 09:18PM

There's a luminous paint that you can get from archery dealers that's put on the sight pins of bow sights. Hit it with a flashlight and it glows for a reasonable period of time.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 09:21PM

Madeira polyneon 40wt sewing thread in flourescent orange, yellow, or lime green.

I use it all the time, but works best on light colored blanks and color preserver SHOULD be used.

Coates & Clark Trilobal 40wt thread.

Similar colors to Madeira but per manufacturer- does not contain lubricants that can cause fisheye in epoxy rod finishes. In the process of experimenting with this now.

Derek
Rohnert Park, CA

Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 09:25PM

i don't know of any of the sponsors to the left, but wal-mart sells high speed polyester embroidery thread in several different neon colors. also gudebrod sells some ht metallic braid in orange 3/32 that glows in the dark. hope this helps.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 09:35PM

We have Neon Thread, in the National Tackle Brand, sizes A and D. Neon Yellow, Neon Lime, Neon Pink, Neon Orange, Neon Green, Neon Turquoise.

Neon Yellow, might work well at night.

Even have neon varigated, but only in size D.

Also have Niteglow Extraglow thread that glows for 8 hours. 5 pastel shades. Pink Glows Pink, while the others glow a flourescent green. Size A only in Yellow, Green, Blue, Blue, Pink and White.

Also, Brilliance Mettalic Thread. Mettalic Luminous glow in the dark thread.

I think one of the above 3 choices will do the trick for you. I'll put up a link with colors and prices shortly.

Ok, here is the link. [www.ackfishing.com]

Toll Free 866-285-0673.

Pete
ACK Fishing & Tackle
Toll Free 866-285-0673

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2006 10:16PM by Peter Maltby.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 11:15PM

Thanks Pete!
Neat stuff!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.82.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:42AM

Another thing you could do is paint the tip of the blank before you put your guides on with a florescent paint. Then coat with permagloss for protection jann's Netcraft has a lot of paints for lures that should work.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.82.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:44AM

Another thing you could do is paint the tip of the blank before you put your guides on with a florescent paint. Just about 2-3 inches.Then coat with permagloss for protection jann's Netcraft has a lot of paints for lures that should work. Or even a spray from Home Depot.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.brambles.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 01:03AM

Flat white paint lights up nicely in moonlight

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 04:41AM

I have always used luminous paint applied to the rod tip as well as reflective tape. I have always found the yellow and green to glow brighter and longer than all other colors. However, on my next catfish/night rod I will be trying something different. I bought some luminous powder that is used in lure finishes. I'm going to mix it in my epoxy finish and apply it to the tip top wrap. I think its going to look and work better than anything I've used in the past. Now that I have heard about the luminous thread, I just might use it with the powder mixure for a more intersting and brighter look. I'm thinking something like, after the luminous mixed epoxy has dried, putting trim wraps, using the luminous thread, over it for a nice functional and decorative look. Hope this helps.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: March 20, 2006 08:35AM

Coates & Clark thread co. has several glow-in-the dark threads. They seem to be the thread merchant of choice for Jo-Anne Fabric stores, a big chain for sewing & cloth crafts. Check them out on line or local store.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 08:38AM

Lite up the blank like Wylie Wiggins! What a sight!

Posted by: Ronald Flynn (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 08:40AM

Mornin.... Hey Rich & Ray we're in the same neck of the woods! Maybe we can hook up sometime & shoot the sh!&

Thanks to all for the ideas
Ron Flynn
Georgetown, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster