I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat is too small
Posted by: Jared Funt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 05:27PM

I sized the reel seat on the blank with a fuji graphite reel seat with metal hoods. 26 fit perfectly. but I wanted the reel seat that fuji makes with the graphite hoods. I ordered that in size 26 and now it wont go down to the lead edge of the rear grip. I checked out fuji's website, and the ID of the seat I bought is .945 in while the ID of the reel seat I sized out on the rod was .984 in, even though they are both size 26.

Can I ream out the inside of the reel seat a bit to make it fit or will this weaken the reel seat substantially? I dont have a lathe so I dont really know how I would do this, maybee with a rat tail file and some sweat. or should I just bite the bullet and order the other reel seat with the metal hoods?

If anybody has had experience with this problem, I would really apreciate some help. thanks for taking the time to read.

Jared

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat is too small
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 06:13PM

Jared,
How much gap between where the rellseats stops and the grip?

Posted by: Jared Funt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 06:32PM

About 6 or 7 inches

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 07:04PM

The reelseat is like only 5.5 " long if I remember right, I'd buy a new seat. Sorry, you'll know better next time. Use this seat on your next rod.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 10:43PM

I like to use seats that are to small, Them ream them out to what I need. that way I always have a seat that is tight to the blank (no gap). I beleave a rod is more sensative if you don't have fillers between handle and blank.

Posted by: jared funt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 11:23PM

steve,
thanks. How do you usually go about reaming out the reel seat? Mine is of course graphite. I may be building a lathe in the next couple days so that might help. how much material can you take away without damaging the reel seat. have you ever had one crack or anything like that? thanks

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 11:34PM

Jared,
You can ream that seat quite a bit unless it is an exposed blank type seat. Some exposed blank
type casting seats are tricky.
Get a wood dowel just smaller than the seat I.D. roll some 60grit sand paper around the dowel
and in a few minutes of reamming(check often) you have a nice fit.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2006 11:35PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:20AM

Jared
I use reamers, even on exposed real seat handles. I put the reamer in a drill press then manually move it up and down to get the diameter I want . If you use drill press use a slower speed so you don't melt the handle. Can also melt grit off reamer. The reason to move it up and down is to keep it from building up heat. Be patent and take your time. Also don't push up it to firmly or it will stick, and you will have to turn off press and back off the handle. Be prepared to let go of the handle quickly just in case it does get stuck. Will not hurt the handle, but can get frustrating. I have never had one crack. when gluing handle make sure you get complete coverage of glue. Have some denatured alcohol or what ever you use to remove excess and from area were exposed blank is if you use exposed blank type of handle.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 08:00AM

They make exposed blank size 26 reelseats now? Off the top of my head it looks like he needs to ream about 3/64" and if your putting the threads toward the butt, it could get interesting I think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster