I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

underwraps
Posted by: chuck la grange (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 11:38AM

if a man wishes to underwrap a fly rod for cosmetic purposes, can you compensate for
performance using a blank of different specs?
e. g. - to build a rod for a 5-weight line, how would you think a six weight blank with underwraps compare performance-wise? don't laugh guy's, my mom told me i was a little slower than the other kids. just a thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: underwraps
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 02:13PM

i see ware your coming from but you forgetting the main point .. that being a 6wt rod would be "meatier"than a 5wt look down at a 4wt with underwraps but they are going to add weight and compromise the action drastically
you dont need to be a nasa engineer or brain surgeon to build a rod just a basic understanding of what a rod is for and what looks good

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 02:21PM

Hi Chuck,
Decoration verses performance is a "no brainer" don't get caught up in the decoration
part of rod building in leu of good performance!

That being said, if you wanted to add something like underwraps to a light blank where
added weight would adversely effect perfomance. You could do "fake underwraps"
(the wrap only covers the area between the guide feet and not under them) then fininsh
the completed guide wraps with something like spar varninsh or permagloss as they are
lighter that the 2 part epoxy fininhes.

This is just an educated guess on my part as I have not done any testing and I haven't as
yet learned the art of fly casting so take this with a grain of salt.

Hopefully others will post some more educated thoughts.

Good Luck!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.146.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 02:23PM

Chuck , You can underwrap anything , it just adds weight . I would immagine that any rod will be effected by the addition of weight , how much will depend on what you started with . You are looking to get a visual effectby adding an underwrap , and you are looking to keep the same "feel " or recovery on the rod , I would think that you would have to start with a "faster" action rod . I'm not sure on the proper terms and I may not be stating this right , but that's how I would interpret it .
One thing you may concider is doing a "false" underwrap which is just longet trim on the outer ends and a short wrap between where the feet of the guides will sit , that will save some weight . Another thing is to tint some epoxy and just put a light coat on the blank and wrap over that . Again it's added weight .
I hope this helps out some , have fun , Jhon

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 02:41PM

Chuck; I might suggest that if you really want to underwrap use something on the order of 00 or 000 silk and keep it as short as possable. In that way depending on the finish you normally use the additional weight will be at a minimum. Depending on how much adornment you want you may be hard pressed to feel the difference.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.208.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 08:42PM

Jim , I was thinking about that also , it came to me after while I was eatin' corned beef and cabbage(OCD) , silk then Permagloss, wrap a guide over . John

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster