I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rec Reel seats - Milled ?
Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 09:22PM

Rec appears to offer a reel seat (3 styles) of what look like an exposed blank type, single and double milled with milled inserts. In the discriptions there appears to be option to select a specific i.d. size.
My rod blank has a .341 butt diameter and the reel seat discription has an option for a .343 i.d. Im thinking that the .343 i.d. are (2) sized bushings fitted to the i.d. of the seat with the insert sandwitched in between. If that be the case my guess is that the blank is going to be concentric to the seat i.d. and o.d. and Im wondering if the thumb could contact the blank? If someone has ever used this set-up could you tell me if im on the right track?
Nextly...would one normally pilot the butt grip into the reel seat by reducing the butt grip o.d. to form ' boss dia. that fits the reel tube i.d? What I would really like to end up with is a "exposed blank" spinning set-up.
I suppose the butt grip would not need to pilot in the reel seat i.d but on the casting rod i made the handle kit came with a corkhandle that did fit into the reel seat and it feels very nice, very solid and do folks ever get into piloting the fore grip?
Im resigned for now not to build my cork handle but will use a preformed cork butt grip and could turn the od down to form a boss to fit the reel seat I have but Im still wanting to come up with the exposed blank like Rec offers, sort of back to square one on the handle set up. Im using rec guides so I would like to use the rec seat (the cost makes me want to throw up )but I figure if I do use it I sure want to understand how to set it up correctly. Sorry to get so long winded!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rec Reel seats - Milled ?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 11:18PM

The REC fly reelseats are just bored to the size specified by you, I imagine this reelseat is the same. You can build the boss on your grips if you like, I don't bother as I see no advantage if you have nice tight arbors in the reelseat. The cheap non arborred Wally World stuff uses them because of their sloppy rod construction methods. They sometimes use a sloppy cardboard tube under the reelseat with very little actual adhesive for bonding.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster